Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Screw from H E L L

Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Tacoguy is a jewel in the roughTacoguy is a jewel in the roughTacoguy is a jewel in the rough

Name: Alex
Tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
Screw from H E L L

I was going to clean my MAF sensor tonight, however upon trying to remove the screws to access it, one of my screw heads got stripped. The one was easy to get to but the other one just would not be cooperative.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Don't clean the MAF...lol

I would not clean the MAF. Instead clean the throttle body. From what I have read the MAF has tiny wires that are brittle & can easily break & should never be touched. You can spray MAF cleaner on the sensor from the throttle body side on a 2nd gen Tacoma. That is what I did.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Stupid question.. MAF sensor. Maf stand for?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
MAF=mass airflow sensor

Below is a DIY on how to properly clean it, along with the throttle body.

http://4runners.org/writeups/throttle/index.html

Be sure to use MAF cleaner for the MAF and don't use a Q-Tip to clean the wires in the sensor, damaging them would be a costly mistake.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Doh... Thanyou!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Dremel Tool Cut

What kind of head is on it anyways, hex, phillips, flat head?
In most cases if you have a Dremel tool you can put on a thin cutting wheel. Then you can make a diagonal cut so you can use a flat head screw driver.
Just make sure to have a steady hand and make a nice cut, and be careful not to damage the MAF.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoguy View Post
I was going to clean my MAF sensor tonight, however upon trying to remove the screws to access it, one of my screw heads got stripped. The one was easy to get to but the other one just would not be cooperative.

Any suggestions on what to do?
How did you strip the head? Were you using a power drill? Those screws are pretty tough. I got mine out with a hand held screwdriver. Use the suggestion above and cut a slot in it with a dremel tool and use a flat head to remove the screw. Spray some penetrating oil on it first.
Did you buy some MAF sensor cleaning spray? I got some from AutoZone that worked pretty good. My truck only had 65K miles, but was pretty dirty. You can definitely see a difference when you clean it. I saw a lot of gunk fall off after I sprayed it. Just be careful and do not touch any of the sensor wires with you fingers. Good luck.