1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Limited Slip Differential

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mn.cadena, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Oct 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    mn.cadena

mn.cadena [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner Xtra Cab SR5
    I have an 01 pre-runner and lately in the rain it has been performing as a 1 wheel wonder. Even fishtailing just taking a corner. Is there a way to get LSD for this model & how much would it cost approximately?

2. Oct 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You say "lately in the rain" like it didn't do it before and it is now?? Or you've had more rain recently??

Cause I would recommend looking at your tires before you try to install an LSD....

3. Oct 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    x2 plus our trucks are light as hell in the ass end anyway :eek:

4. Oct 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    mn.cadena

mn.cadena [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner Xtra Cab SR5
    It has performed well in the rain previously, but lately the one wheel seems to slip loose more often than before. The tires (Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor) are only 1 year old and have less than 8000 miles on them.

5. Oct 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    When was the last rotation??

Cause SOMETHING has changed...and not having/having an LSD isn't the answer. Figuring out what is different now is the right place to start....THEN look at maybe getting an LSD.

6. Oct 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It could be the local conditions. If the raods had alot of dirt washed onto them, oil, etc. If its been dry for along time, then rain, that can cause this issue. Kinda sounds like the truck is acting normal. :eek:

7. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Mine was like this with my old tires too. It was really bad. Taco's have a light ass end as scottcrumley24 says. Even with the Kumhos I have on my Tacoma which would not even slip in snow on my SAAB, they slip like crazy on the Tacoma in rain. And these tires are 5 months old, rotated every 3K. A limited slip although nice, is not the answer.

8. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I was kinda thinking about this....I have a car accident in my past life that was due to slightly wet, newly paved roads...that oil slicked pretty bad. Rear end broke loose and I slid thru a corner...and head on collided with a bus.

Products Discussed in

To Top