1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing and replace of front diff axle seals

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by alexh, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Feb 12, 2008 at 10:14 AM
    alexh

alexh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD
    Hi,

I'm doing a front axle CV boot replacement. I pretty much have everything figured out. I had to get a few misc parts besides the boot kit so I just went ahead and got the front diff axle seals (98 w/ADD) even though most say don't bother to change them.

I have replaced seals like these before but I always had a socket that was a similar diameter to drive them in. I don't think it's a big deal even w/o the SST but my trucks been down too long already so I don't want to take any chances.

I assume I can just lever out the old ones?

On the install, can I just gently tap them in with a hammer and piece of bar steel or similar? Work my around the seal evenly? I noticed the FSM specs a final depth relative to the diff case.

Also wanted to ask about cleaning the old CV's, tripod and tulips. The existing grease doesn't look too bad but I still want to clean and add the new grease. I got a empty paint can. I figure I put some solvent in the can and agitate the parts until they are clean. Is this a good way to do it?

The FSM and some other notes I have read say to put some grease on the joints and some in/on the boot. Not sure I understand this - I assume you just work the grease into the joints as much as possible but I don't get the part about putting grease in the boot (assuming I'm reading it correctly)?

Thanks for any tips.

2. Feb 13, 2008 at 9:50 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First of all, why change a part that doesn't leak???
    Second, you can clean the tulip and the tripod with brake cleaner, then add the grease that comes with your cv boot kit on the tripod and in the boot once it is on the shaft, then you can put your collars on and call it a day.
    Don't put the grease in the boot before sliding it on the shaft please.
    Good luck, I hate to do these jobs, they're usually pretty messy.

3. Feb 13, 2008 at 10:03 AM
    alexh

alexh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD
    Everybody says this and I don't understand it. My truck has 130k miles and Toyota even had to replace some seals under warranty. I can't imagine going through this again to save $25 in parts. If you 4 wheel in muddy or dusty conditions I think it makes seals fail very fast.

Anyhow, I found out that a 2" PVC coupler is exactly the right size to insert the seals.

I cleaned the CV's with mineral spirits using a paint can - it was a holy mess and it's not easy to get all the grease out. Probably took me an hour for both.

Products Discussed in

To Top