1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slow Battery Drain Radio Related? 02 tacoma x-cab

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by inlinewhine, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    inlinewhine

inlinewhine [OP] Member

Member:
    ND/MN
    Vehicle:
    02 X-Cab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Okay here is the problem,

The radio powers up but there is no sound comming from the speakers. And if the vehicle sits for about 5 days the battery is dead. Also the driver side speaker will "pop" everyonce in a while as I start the vehicle, all this is happening when the radio is off.

I assume it is some sort of short.

Here is the vehicle history.
    Bought the 2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 x-cab 2.7L 4x4 back in september '09 with 4,500 miles. Im assuming it got parked in a garage and wasent driven hardly ever. The last oil change was done back in 2006 where it had 4,400 miles. I bought it and drove it for about a week and everything worked seemed normal. I hooked up my boat for the first time at my lake place drove it about 20 yards up a hill to talk to my neighbor before going fishing, rolled down the driver window turned off the radio to talk and from that point on, the radio only powers on (no sound).

I cannot find anyone else who has had a problem like this. I thought since is sat that it could have been a mouse chewing a wire but there hasent been a mouse in the cab.

Any ideas???

2. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:24 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Do you have an after market radio?

3. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    inlinewhine

inlinewhine [OP] Member

Member:
    ND/MN
    Vehicle:
    02 X-Cab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    stock radio, the truck is 100% stock, the radio is a CD/tape deck combination. Funny because I havent played a tape in about 12 years.

4. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I would pull the radio and check this wiring harness. It is possible that a rat or something chewed some wiring while it was parked.

BTW, nice find on a low mileage vehicle.

5. Nov 1, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Check the speaker wiring to / within your driver side door. You said the problem started immediately after rolling down the window.

6. Nov 1, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    I have a stock 2000 Tacoma SR5 Xtra cab 2.7L 4x4 (same truck really), and my truck's battery will die between 1 or 2 weeks of sitting. Basicly same issue. I just make sure to start it every few days and let it run for about 20 minutes or so, or let my wife use it once in a while. When it's nice out, I'll ride my motorcycle, so my truck does sit unused for days, sometimes weeks. I think it's normal. I'm now aware of it, so it's not really an issue. I have a jump-box, so I keep it in the truck, just incase...;)

Products Discussed in

To Top