1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Really bad noise in 4x4

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dustin03, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Nov 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 [OP] The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    It all started a few months ago when I was pulling the boat and trailer out of the water. I had 4x4 Low engaged for extra traction and torque; pulled the rig up to the top of the ramp and made a turn. The most horrible rattling noise I've ever heard came from the left-front corner, like somebody tapping on metal with a nail or a drift pin.

Has anybody dealt with this before? I replaced the CV boots on that axle shaft about six months ago, and nothing seemed wrong at the time. What are the chances this could cause my 4wd to break on me in the middle of nowhere and leave me stranded?

2. Nov 2, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Is the noise still there?

3. Nov 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    Dustin03

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    Yeah, it's still there. Scares the Hell out of me, too.

Maybe you misunderstood me. It makes the noise whether or not I'm on pavement; it just happened to be that I was on pavement when the noise started.

4. Nov 2, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    Maybe someone should say something about the question, and not just what you aren't supposed to do. FWIW everyone I've ever talked to agrees that pulling the boat up a wet ramp in 4wd is common practice.

5. Nov 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    Sounds like you have broke an axle or a CV joint. Does it make noise when turning regardless of 4WD or not? On most front wheel drive vehicles for an example you hear horrible noise upon accelleration or when turning when you have a bad CV joint or axel. On a rear wheel drive truck in 2WD you may only hear it more so when turning. Driving straight and without a load on the axle most likely will not produce alot of noise, but when turning you put stress on the axle regardless whether you have a load on it or not. Those would be the first 2 thinks I would check.

6. Nov 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    jimbo623

jimbo623 Jimbo

Member:
    Pueblo
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road
    Grillcraft Grill, Hella Black Magics, ICON shocks w/ remote reservoir, Total Chaos UCAs, Tom Woods Drive Shaft, TSB springs, LED Dome light, Redline Hood struts, Slotted rotors, WheatherTech Mats, Ultra Gauge, and Illuminated 4x4 switch
    I recently had the very same type noise coming from what sounds like the same location. I first thought it was a CV axle, but then took it into the dealer and had them look it over. Two dealers later and a lot of headaches, it was reported that the pinon gear in the front diff. was trashed. It was reported that chunks came out when they drained the oil. The dealer, much to my surprise, replaced it all under warranty (37,000 mi. under the extended warranty) and gave me a rental car for the entire time. Try the dealer option and if that doesn't work, try simply draining the oil and checking for "chunks", hopefully that will shed some light.

7. Nov 2, 2009 at 9:23 PM
    Dustin03

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Thank you!

Yeah, no noise unless I'm in 4wd. Does anyone know if this is something that needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later? I don't plan to do anything that would require 4wd in the near future, so can I wait to spend the money?

8. Nov 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    Dustin03

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    That's something else to consider. I have fairly good reason to believe that the internals are non-exploded, since I was just in there replacing the CV boots on the other side, and there was no debris coming out when the oil drained.

9. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:04 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I hate to say this, but just because the oil is good, doesnt meant it didnt break. Im thinking, you may have busted a tooth on the ring gear in the front diff.....:(

10. Nov 3, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I guess I did. I thought you used 4wd to pull the boat out then went down the road and took a turn and had a problem. Sorry.

On a side note. What happened to my post? I'm curious.

11. Nov 3, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I cleaned up the thread. Seemed alot of folks were telling him what NOT to do, rather than help with the issue.

12. Nov 4, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    With hearing the noise only in 4WD I think Chris is dead on, and without question just because the oil is clean does not mean that there is not a problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top