1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the best oil to use?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BG04, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    BG04

BG04 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    I bought my truck new and its only had Royal Purple. Im about to change front and rear diff and engine oil but I dont want to keep paying RP if someone knows what is the best.

2. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Best is subjective:

Royal Purple is pretty good stuff.
    Mobil1 is good stuff.

Use what you want-

3. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    x2.

i have mobil 1

4. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Any quality synthetic will do. Change regularly. Royal Purple is fine if you want to stick with that. Mobil 1 is also fine and a little less expensive.

If you want to do extended OCIs, stick with one brand for a few changes and get oil analyses done to determine what your OCI should be.

FWIW I ran Mobil 1 for the first 3k miles and swapped to RP a couple days ago. Plan to run RP from now on because the UOAs over at bobistheoilguy.com show it shearing down to about a 20 weight over time while still protecting excellently against engine wear.

The Diffs/T-case are still full of Mobil 1...nowhere near the needed time/mileage for a change yet...

5. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I'll be putting Redline MT90 in my trans pretty soon, and M1 in everything else (5-30 in engine, 75-90 in diffs and tcase)

6. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    BG04

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    Reason for concern is I saw one article on how RP needed to change their advertising because a lot of claims were false. However I like it, I trust it will see how long my engine lasts with it.

7. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Which article, exactly?

Never mind. Googled it up. Interesting. I'll still take the oil analyses.

8. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    BG04

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
  9. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    03sasTACO

03sasTACO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    brevard
    Vehicle:
    SAS taco on 38's
    i use rotella t 10w30. i know i know crazy but it has zinc that helps with repair of cylinder walls and also stays cooler due to it being a diesle oil. it also last a little longer and doesnt thin out as much when it does get hot. look into it. i have been running it in my truck for about a year now.

10. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Yeah I saw it.

Before switching to RP I went over to the Bob forums and read every RP used oil analysis in the first 40 pages of threads.

The consensus seems to be that it shears down to a 20 weight over 5000 or so miles, but engine wear stays low. This may be where people pick up their .5 HP or 1 MPG gain....essentially it turns into a thinner oil.

Some might argue this is a bad thing, but there were no signs of high wear in these oil analyses either, so the data suggests the RP is maintaining protection, and on paper a thinner oil that can protect against wear just as well is better...

In any event, I'm not worried about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top