LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power Steering Pump issues

Old 11-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
hondakubota is on a distinguished road
hondakubota's Tacoma Gallery
Power Steering Pump issues

2004 Tacoma 2.7L 4wd blew all the power steering fluid near the front of the engine and on the hood. (See photos). Pump made noise after fluid came out. Did not continue to drive the vehicle. Put fluid in pump and everything appears to be OK. Biggest problem is I cant tell where the fluid came out and it is not currently leaking. Should I just go ahead and replace the pump? What about the hoses? Any ideas on how to figure out exactly where the oil came out? Anyone had this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Power Steering Pump issues-pump-1.jpg   Power Steering Pump issues-pump2.jpg   Power Steering Pump issues-pump3.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

Where is the fluid comming out?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Thats the magic question. It all blew out at once. I refilled the pump with fluid and now it does not leak. Since the oil is everywhere cant tell where it came from.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakubota View Post
Thats the magic question. It all blew out at once. I refilled the pump with fluid and now it does not leak. Since the oil is everywhere cant tell where it came from.
Wow...Thats strange. And everything is fine now??
Old 11-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
So far but my concern is that its just a matter of time before it occurs again. Given that I am wondering if I should just go ahead and install a new pump?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakubota View Post
So far but my concern is that its just a matter of time before it occurs again. Given that I am wondering if I should just go ahead and install a new pump?
I would keep an eye on it. It may have just blown the top loose and leaked out like that.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Get some simple green and clean that motor. then after its dry. Drive around for a little while and then look for leaks.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentRedz View Post
Get some simple green and clean that motor. then after its dry. Drive around for a little while and then look for leaks.
Bingo!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
All cleaned up and drove the truck last night and today. No signs of leaks.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
mine just did the same thing about two weeks ago. fluid all over the hood and the whole pump reservoir was coated. No issues though. I think i may have overfilled it and it had to go somewhere.