Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

BFG Long Trails vs BFG Rugged Trails

Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
Dabates is on a distinguished road
Dabates's Tacoma Gallery
BFG Long Trails vs BFG Rugged Trails

I think I'm goinG to be in the market for some new skins before the snow flies up here and am looking for some input. I have an '01 TRD Offroad with factory wheels, currently I have a set of 265 70 R16 BFG Long Trails on the truck which seem to return decent fuel economy and ride. I'd like to get a beefier look on the truck and I figure I could do this with tires but I still want to maintain decent mileage, I'm getting around 22mpg highway right now. I'm thinking of going for BFG Rugged Trails, they look a bit meatier in the online pics anyway. Has anyone used them, have anything to say about fuel economy etc...is it crazy to consider a taller sidewalk than the 70 series, what could I go up to and what would be the consequences????

Any input would be awesome, I'd like to make a decision over the next week or so before things get really white up here...
Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Batang SMB
tacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the rough

tacoterra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
BFG All Terrain.

Don't mess with anything less. You'll regret it.
X2.BFG A/Ts.Its been there for 30 years and theres a reason why its still doing good on sales today.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Rugged Trails were terrible when I had them. Now running Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2. love e'm.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
FuTang909Inamo is on a distinguished road

FuTang909Inamo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabates View Post
I think I'm goinG to be in the market for some new skins before the snow flies up here and am looking for some input. I have an '01 TRD Offroad with factory wheels, currently I have a set of 265 70 R16 BFG Long Trails on the truck which seem to return decent fuel economy and ride. I'd like to get a beefier look on the truck and I figure I could do this with tires but I still want to maintain decent mileage, I'm getting around 22mpg highway right now. I'm thinking of going for BFG Rugged Trails, they look a bit meatier in the online pics anyway. Has anyone used them, have anything to say about fuel economy etc...is it crazy to consider a taller sidewalk than the 70 series, what could I go up to and what would be the consequences????

Any input would be awesome, I'd like to make a decision over the next week or so before things get really white up here...
The ruggedtrails came stock on my 03 D-cab. I switched to all-terrains and if you want the "beefy" look those are the way to go. But I dropped just a bit if mpg...small sacrifice IMO. If you went with 265/75/16, that's basically a 32" tire I think. That seems like a popular setup especially with 2nd gens.

Here's my tires:
BFG Long Trails vs BFG Rugged Trails-08-09-022.jpg
Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama
rutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud of
rutherk1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rutherk1
Honestly, both of those models don't deserve the BFG name on them.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
If your trying to conserve fuel while having an aggresive tire check out Dueler Revo 2, Nitto A/T, and Destination A/T. These are aggresive tires but with "p" rating which is a lighter tire than LT265/75/16.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Can you guys eloborate why you don't like the rugged/long trails BFG's?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Good351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to behold

Good351's Tacoma Gallery
Rugged Trails came on my 08 as well... I also hate them. Go with the BFG All Terrains in your stock size if you want to maintain mileage.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
AlphaPlanner
thestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
thestrangebrew's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of Rugged Trails on right now and I'm just waiting for them to die so I can get a different set of skins. These tires do well as my daily driver mileage wise, but they don't have good traction. In the rain they're ok, not sure how they'd handle in the snow, but in the dirt they slip pretty often. I've also heard of guys who had these that they lose tread pretty quickly, ~20k? I have 25k+ on them and my tread are fine.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
vegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to all
Name: Jorge Edward
vegas1's Tacoma Gallery
I had BG A/T come stock on my 04 Dcab and they where awesome when it came to going off road but they werent so well when if came to wet pavement, i was all over the place and I had to drive like a grandpa. Ive had a couple of friends run the firestone a/t and they said they where awesome in wet,dry, and mud. Im not to sure if this helps but i think tires plus kingdom is running a special 15 % off the set of firestones. I HATE LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT TIRE.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
again, BFG ATs are the best.

I have had them for over a year, through rain, snow, ice, mud, and quite a bit of off roading.
They have practically never failed me, and when they did, it was my own fault and no tire, no matter how good it was, would have changed it. Very little on road noise and they look quite beefy.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #15
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
rugged fails
Long fails

HAha jk they are a good tire if your truck only sees pavement
Old 11-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
Dabates is on a distinguished road
Dabates's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone, it seems like the All Terrains are the concensus around here, I do think they look the best but givien that this is my daily driver and I do a fair amount of commuting fuel economy is near the top of my list...I appreciate that a larger sidewall will screw with my mileage a bit, I'm wondering how much, I'm pretty surprised that I can maintain my 22mpg and could let it slide to 20mpg and be cool with it...one other thing, does anyone around here add weight over the axle when your running a cap? Is the cap enough additional weight to keep things tied down or should I add some sand?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
vegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to all
Name: Jorge Edward
vegas1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabates View Post
Thanks everyone, it seems like the All Terrains are the concensus around here, I do think they look the best but givien that this is my daily driver and I do a fair amount of commuting fuel economy is near the top of my list...I appreciate that a larger sidewall will screw with my mileage a bit, I'm wondering how much, I'm pretty surprised that I can maintain my 22mpg and could let it slide to 20mpg and be cool with it...one other thing, does anyone around here add weight over the axle when your running a cap? Is the cap enough additional weight to keep things tied down or should I add some sand?

To be really honest with you, i dont think your going to tell that much of a diff. I have a 04 dcab 2.7. I put on a 3 inch fabtech coilover lift in front and 2 inch blocks in tha back and plused my tire from a 265/70/16 to 265/70/17 which is about an inch taller because of the rim and i saw very very very lil changed in my mileage. I have to drive my truck for work and mileage is a huge on my priority list and it didnt make hardly a diff at all, maybe a 5-10 mile diff per tank fill up depending on how i drove it.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #19
CanadianGuy is on a distinguished road

CanadianGuy's Tacoma Gallery
my 08 has the rugged trails and they are pretty much worn out already from 90% driving on the road. im getting bfg a/t when they die
Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #20
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Mileage will suffer with the All Terrains, maybe 1 MPG or so....For me, it is a good tradeoff. I expect tires to grip, not enhance mileage...