Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

True Oil Capacity

Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
taco? like the kind you eat?
mylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Corporal, Mals-11, 3rd MAW
mylittletacoma's Tacoma Gallery
True Oil Capacity

hey, just wanted to check something out.

I am no idiot, so I read the owners manual for oil capacity on my 3.4l 5VZ for my oil changes. I use 1qt of Marvel Mystery Oil and the rest 10w30 Castrol Syntech. book says 5.7 qts with filter right....

check with auto zone and they say 5.25 qts.

so I say screw them and i do what the book says, plus my bro who manages a Jiffy Lube said it takes 6qts. So I put 5.75qts......

dip stick says not full..... go to 6qts...... shows between the noches on the dip stick which usually means about .25 or .5 qts low. so I put .25..... then I finally end up at about 6.35 qts for a final total fill....

the question I have is this; Is anyone else running into the same issue???? I have a 2000 V6 5VZ with a manual tranny and 4x4. I even checked my dip stick against my bro's and they matched up so I know it is not a wrong dip stick...

WTF over?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
the amount for the v6(my 04 anyway) is 5.5 quarts. between the dots on the dipstick means "good" basically.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I got 5.5 usually.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
mylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
see, thats what i am talking about,,,, 5.5 yet the book says 5.7, some say 5.25, and when i put 6 in its is barely to the bottom hash mark on the dip stick.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
phil_c is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: electrician
phil_c's Tacoma Gallery
I just did an oil change today after work. An '02 v6 with a Napa gold oil filter, 5 +3/4 qts. of oil put it just a wisker under the top mark. gotta admit, the location of the oil filter on this truck is my bigest bitch about it so far. the little plastic tabs holding the rubber flap on just busted off when removed, so I'll have to pick up some new ones.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Mootsman is on a distinguished road
Mootsman's Tacoma Gallery
5.75 does it here.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I just dump 6 qts in every time. I dump some oil in the filter though.

As for location of the filter....yes its a PITA.

What I've found to be easiest is to take the skids off and go at it from the side. Reason for taking the skid off is so I can actually see what the hell I'm doing.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
I just dump 6 qts in every time. I dump some oil in the filter though.

What I've found to be easiest is to take the skids off and go at it from the side. Reason for taking the skid off is so I can actually see what the hell I'm doing.

yeah i take my skid plates off too. makes it easier in my opinion, then you dont have to clean them from taking the filter off.

so 6 you say.... well i guess i am just going to keep playing it safe and just put it right between the marks on the stick.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:04 AM   #9
Daily Driver "Plus"
smuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud of

Navy: 24 years Active Duty
Name: Frank
smuook's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post

I don't take the skid plate off. I come in from behind the front driver's wheel. Once I get is loosened with an oil wrench... I use a plastic bag to cover the filter and take it off by hand. Been able to catch 95% of the mess with the plastic bag that way.