Notices

Retro-Solutions Bi-Xenon HID Kit - AWESOME

Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
NYProud is on a distinguished road
Air Force: CMSgt, Avionics Tech (ret)
Name: Chief
NYProud's Tacoma Gallery
Wink Retro-Solutions Bi-Xenon HID Kit - AWESOME

Just wanted to let all my fellow 1st Gen Tacoma owners know that I just installed a Bi-Xenon HID conversion kit (Low and High Beams) in my '98 Tacoma X-tra cab 4x4 TRD, and they are unbelievably great! I bought the 8000K (slightly blue-white), and the difference between the HIDs and my original Halogen (Star-Brites) is overwhelming...super bright white like monster fluorescents...light up the night, and reflective signs like an alien space craft (in movies). Not expensive...great quality components...3000 hr bulb life, all for less than $200. Great customer service...U.S. Company (CT).

Check it out: www.retro-solutions.com

Good luck...Chief
Old 02-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
did you do a projector retrofit or just plug-and-play? how's the light cut-off (if you went with the plug-and-play kit)?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-15-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
NYProud's Tacoma Gallery
Hey davidpick

To reply to your question, I went with plug and play...and it really is that simple. Wiring harness plugs up to one (left) headlight connector, power connection to battery, and then plug ups to digital ballast units (one on each side of the engine bay). Everything fits perfectly to stock headlight units. And, the light output is AMAZING! Low beams are like super bright blue-white beams (8000k set) of fluorescent light - like daylight on OK rural roads. High beams are fully un-shielded filament beams that almost double the beam range...but really not needed on even the darkest roads...also great on foggy nights/mornings.

Hope that answers your question. I've had them on my 98 Taco 4x4 TRD now for about 4 months - in all the miserable snowy, icy winter weather here, and I'm blown away. Also, I recently added clear front lenses and replaced most of my regular (incandescent) bulbs with LEDs (all but back-ups) from LEDs bought on E-Bay (cheap!) and they + the HIVs make my Taco look like a freakin' spaceship! AWESOME!

Good Luck....Chief
Old 02-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
thanks!

hey chief,
thanks for the reply! it does sound pretty simple! do you happen to have any pics showing the down-the-road view? that would help a lot! thanks!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
NYProud's Tacoma Gallery
No...no pix of beams on the road but trust me, for less than $200 (from Retro Solutions) and about an hour's worth of work, you'll enjoy the difference in night driving. And, I expected to get flashed by on-coming drivers because of the HID brightness and range but so far NOTHING. I adjusted my headlight beams just a hair low, and both beams almost dead center straight ahead, and still they light up both sides of the street The Xenon bulbs are warranted for 10,000 hours, but just in-case I bought an extra set of bulbs ($80). I'm good to go for YEARS!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #8

Firefighter:
thanks for the insight! i'll definitely be looking into it. a couple months ago, i upgraded the stock bulbs to phillips xtravision (or something like that)... they're noticeably whiter and a little brighter, but nothing compared to HID... which is my goal.

anyways, thanks much for your help!