1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Improving CAI

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Toyota1998, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    Toyota1998

Toyota1998 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    98Tacoma 2.7L TRD
    KN Cold Air Intake,Add-a-Leaf,2" Leveling Kit, Rock Rims, Brush Guard, Blacked Out Badges, Flowmaster 44 Dual, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Grey Wire
    I have the KN CAI system and when i first got it I was thinking that it would relocate the intake outside of the engine compartment, but of course, it doesn't. I don't regret buying it but I would like to somehow build a better box around the heatshield and then maybe find a way to pipe some air to the box from outside the engine compartment.
    Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Also if someone has belt a better box around the CAI filter please give me some ideas on the material to use. Thanks

2. Nov 18, 2009 at 4:30 AM
    Toyota1998

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    98Tacoma 2.7L TRD
    KN Cold Air Intake,Add-a-Leaf,2" Leveling Kit, Rock Rims, Brush Guard, Blacked Out Badges, Flowmaster 44 Dual, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Grey Wire
    Any advice out there? :pray:

3. Nov 18, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    Have you thought about some sort of pipe/tubing (PCV or stout dryer hose type material) to route from in front of the grill around/under it to the intake? Doing so might drop the over temp of the engine bay a bit and slow the engine from reaching optimum operating temps. Anyone else?

4. Nov 18, 2009 at 11:12 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Thats a good idea, but the longer the intake trackt is, and the more bends, the further it slows down the intake velocity, or creates turbulance, further restricting the air flow. Generally, the shortest track, with the coolest flow is best.

5. Nov 18, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    How about piping the air to the filter? Not necessarily putting the filter in front of the grill, I noticed that I read the post wrong. My bad!

6. Nov 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    The Parts Whore

The Parts Whore Slinging parts since '03

Member:
    Yes, you can put a some sort of pipe/snorkel in the front grill to the filter to draw more air but you're also blocking air to the radiator. Granted, you probably won't overheat but just a thought.

Since there's an opening where the stock air box was located, you can have some pipe come thru there and route it somewhere near the skid plate? :)

7. Nov 18, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Seems like to much mess to gain 1/4 hp..........

8. Nov 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    Toyota1998

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    98Tacoma 2.7L TRD
    Yeah i have, i found some pictures of things like that on TW, I would like to route some air over from in front of the grill but i want to route the pipe(from in front of the grill) to a better box. My KN came wiht a heat shield but I'd prefer some type of box around the filter that reflects heat, then i would run lines from in front of the grill and maybe one from the fender to the box.

I've been looking at all sorts of ways of routing the air from that area over to my filter, my main goal is to get as much cold air as i can with out going completely custom.

Products Discussed in

To Top