Notices

IFS lift vs. SAS swap???

View Poll Results: IFS lift vs. SAS swap
IFS lift 33 37.50%
SAS swap 55 62.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #21
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
look at ARB's. They should be nice, I've got the TRD E-locker and I like it so maybe you could for a used one...?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #22
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
Forget the SAS, a 3" lift with some good snow tires
Old 11-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #23
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
If you just use leaf springs for your IFS swap you won't be very happy, I know a couple guys who have done SAS on IFS Toyotas using leaf springs and it rides just like an old crusty straight axle truck. Both these guys said if they did it again they would buy coil-overs and do a 3 link setup. I don't imagine you would get coilovers for less then $2000. Stick with the IFS, guys have done hard trails, like the Rubicon and others with STOCK IFS trucks. Besides IFS rides so much nicer on rough pot-hole filled roads.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
For a toy, i would go SAS! For an everyday driver, no doubt stay with IFS!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #25
Resmondo has a spectacular aura aboutResmondo has a spectacular aura about
Name: Cody
Resmondo's Tacoma Gallery
freakin' right son....haha. SAS will rip tits. No reason to chop your frame up though. An IFS will go almost as hard.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #26
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I say if its paid off, do it! Its cheaper than buying a new vehicle
Old 12-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #27
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
im not a fan of SAS its awesome and all but i would never use it to its full potential.. i just dont live any where, where i would need all that... i would do some Icon front coilovers and rear rezy shocks, an aal and some snow tires
Old 12-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #28
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Found this while browsing TTORAs SAS section.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...8d4400a08c456a

Looks like all you need is the axle and some other bits.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #29
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
My cousin's SAS is almost done. It's awesome.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #30
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
toyota 4wd owner magazine has an issue going now, an ifs 4 runner vs solid axle, check it out.
It is a great article.

IMO-

If you want straight axle then just get a Jeep.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #31
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I took my IFS up to the top of a bad ass looking trail that I could not find the marker too. I walked if first and decided I could manage it. When I got to the top ther were about 6 buggys there that asked how the hell I did that. I was like what? They then informed me the marker was removed while they made another one to designate that trail as very difficult, calling for 3"+ of lift with 35s and lockers. Your truck is plenty capable with IFS.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #32
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post
It is a great article.

IMO-

I think it's more about the challenge and experience of doing something different then just going to buy it off the shelf. Isn't that what modding our tucks is about?

I could take my truck anywhere and tell them to make it look and drive they way it does now but I would miss out on all the experience of doing it myself.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #33
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
I think it's more about the challenge and experience of doing something different then just going to buy it off the shelf. Isn't that what modding our tucks is about?

I could take my truck anywhere and tell them to make it look and drive they way it does now but I would miss out on all the experience of doing it myself.
The OP's question was IFS lift versus SAS lift. I agree with you about making the mods yourself. I believe that we would modify trucks to make them better. So by doing a SAS it is saying that IFS on a Toyota is inherently a bad design.

I think IFS is great. Mod it if you want. I have had 3 straight axles and 2 IFS. I would vote IFS anyday.

I took my totally trick Jeep to Ouray last year. I climbed to 13,000 feet to look down on Telluride from the mountain top. When I got to the top I found a stock Tacoma there. So I took my Jeep home and bought a Tacoma 2 days later. Best thing I did.

Both IFS and SAS get you to the same place. IFS is just a much better ride doing it.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #34
tt01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
tt01's Tacoma Gallery
i would go with the sas if you are going to wheel and rock crawl some serious stuff i have a fabtech ifs lift and i love it looks good and everything but when it come down to going wheeling and when you need it to flex it doesnt flex like the sas can i bought my truck used with the lift on it and the guy that lifted it paid $2,700!!! for the lift which is something i would never do you can very well lift a truck much cheaper than that
Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #35
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post

IMO-

True....

However - in terms of hardcore offroading where SAS is beneficial.... Jeeps front & rear axles are LACKING. As some of the folks in the jeep world will say.... "Don't polish a turd"

I had a Jeep. I put Waggy Dana 44's under it. Most of the home-built SAS Toyotas have Waggy Dana 44's in the front. They're frigin awesome.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #37
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

If you want to "trailer" it around ..spend the $$$ and do the SAS right...if not,small lift on an IFS,lock it ( both front and rear if $$ allows) and keep the extra $$$ to play with....
What it all comes down too is "How and where you drive".....then you ,the OP spend your $$$$$.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #38
jds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jds0912's Tacoma Gallery
S.A.S = Solid Axle Swap. S.A.S swap = Solid axle swap swap. No need for the extra swap in there. Just a pet peave. Like saying IT technology or IFS suspension. Kills me.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #40
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery