Notices

IFS lift vs. SAS swap???

View Poll Results: IFS lift vs. SAS swap
IFS lift 33 37.50%
SAS swap 55 62.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v
ak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ak47's Tacoma Gallery
IFS lift vs. SAS swap???

FML.. well been doing a little lookin and i was just wondering what you guys would do. lift for IFS= $2500/3000 straight axle= around $1400 plus leafs and tires what are your thoughts??
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
ak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ak47's Tacoma Gallery
nope not talking brand new on the swap.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
uhhhhhh yea i think your prices are off first of all. and second what kind of lift are we talking about here?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
toyota 4wd owner magazine has an issue going now, an ifs 4 runner vs solid axle, check it out.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
IFS lift is nowhere near 3k.

I'd say 2k max (Icons and TC UCAs)

SAS is more than just getting an axle and some leafs and bolting them up. Check out TTORA's Solid Axle forum to get a figure of what all you need to do for a SAS.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
My R6 Eats Me
AlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
AlexForbesR6's Tacoma Gallery
sas is the sex...

only slightly less secsy than a LT truck
Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #8

ak47's Tacoma Gallery
okay it seems that my information was a little strewed price aside sas or lift?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
do you wheel HARD? if not IFS
Old 11-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #10

ak47's Tacoma Gallery
well the truck now is my daily driver/toy will be toy within 16 months..
Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #11
kg4ghn is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
kg4ghn's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to kg4ghn Send a message via Yahoo to kg4ghn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexForbesR6 View Post
sas is the sex...

only slightly less secsy than a LT truck

SAS is pure awesomeness.

But you are looking at lots of money and time. Lots. of both.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #12

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
A toy you wanna wheel real hard? you can wheel the hell out of IFS, SAS is a big swap
Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
get your facts straight
SafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dang
SafetyDang's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
First off ask yourself what kind of wheeling you do.. If you even wheel... So many people these days jump into building a rig and then end up selling it because they dont like it.. If you wheel hard as in 4x4 crawling then go SAS if you have the Time and money. If you want to start wheeling IFS is a good start for a good overall off road vehicle.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Research research research.....

Honesty - with those prices listed....you haven't done enough research about solid axle swaps to know exactly what's involved.

I would highly recommend doing an IFS lift .....until you learn a lot more about what a solid axle swap is and what's involved in doing one.

A solid axle swap involves a lot of work, time, & custom applications. Cutting your vehicle and NEVER going back to its original setup. It involves custom setups for steering, allignment, and drivability. You can't just slap everything on and think it'll be a dream vehicle to drive. If you don't do it RIGHT and have things setup RIGHT, it could be a deathtrap.

Do you even go offroading? Generally, if you have to ask us....whether or not an IFS lift versus a SAS - then chances are....you're not all that familiar with offroading in the first place.

Give us more information about WHY you're even asking us that question.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #16
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
if it were me id sas it
Old 11-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
If I had the money to SAS my truck, I'd do it.

But, I don't have the money, nor do I wheel enough/in the type of places that a SAS would be needed at.

These trucks are pretty capable in stock form, esp with the locker. Ask the guys that went down to URE last month. There were two of us running stock suspension and we did everything (almost) that the rest of the group did.

If you think that you need to SAS your truck, you probably don't. You'll know when it's SAS time.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Honestly I would wheel it like you have it for awhile. Wheel it til something breaks. Improve what needs to be improved, sliders, armor, tires, lockers etc. And then I would SAS or IFS lift. I mean you can take a IFS truck (with the right mods and driver) through some good trails. I've took my fairly stock truck through some good trails, not because I had a lift or SAS but because I took my time, chose the right lines, and kicked it in 4lo and lock'd it when need be. I think wheeling is more fun with challenges instead of spending alot of money on all this stuff that makes it easier to wheel.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #19
Keyser Soze
WATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud of

Name: Rob
WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel what you have, until you hit a point where there's some obstacle that you can't do that you need to to do.
Then upgrade what you need to do it.
Repeat.

It's easy to build a rig that doesn't suit your needs by throwing money at it. It's harder to build a rig that really suits your needs, but you will be happier.

Are you breaking IFS parts every time out? Are you unable to go places you need to go? Are you in danger because you are maxing out your rig?

If not, you still have room to grow with IFS before you hit the wall and have to make a major decision like taking a plasma cutter and removing everything Toyota welded to your frame.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #20

ak47's Tacoma Gallery
haha thanks guys. the only reason i asked was i want a bulletproof truck (more then it is.) mostly for the snow for now. i had a guy tell me sas was the way to go over the lift. but now you guys set me straight.
Now the question is getting a locker. what price vs. quality.

And i just wanna say TW is addicting