Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Real TRD or not?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
t12i_867 is on a distinguished road
t12i_867's Tacoma Gallery
Real TRD or not?

Hi i just bought a 2002 double cab trd. 2 wheel drive... I was just wondering if it was a real trd since the guy replace the shocks on it.. it was replace with some kyb's =( it does have the diff switch, not sure if the non trd has that too? just curious what else should i look out for? the guy i bought the truck from was the 2nd owner.. older guy.. in his 60's. If u guys can be of any help? btw it is a automatic Thanks!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t12i_867 View Post
Hi i just bought a 2002 double cab trd. 2 wheel drive... I was just wondering if it was a real trd since the guy replace the shocks on it.. it was replace with some kyb's =( it does have the diff switch, not sure if the non trd has that too? just curious what else should i look out for? the guy i bought the truck from was the 2nd owner.. older guy.. in his 60's. If u guys can be of any help? btw it is a automatic Thanks!

if it has the rear locker, then chances are it is in probably a trd truck. the guy probably just wanted something cheaper to replace the shocks with.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I believe 06 is right, the button is a good clue, take it off road and see what happens.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
can you do a vin# search?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
99TRD is on a distinguished road

Navy:
99TRD's Tacoma Gallery
The locker switch is the key. If it has a factory one installed, it is a TRD. There are a few more things that can be on both but only TRD's have the locker .
Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
thanks guys.. i did a car fax on it but doesnt say anything about trd.. on it.
im sure it is.. just really curious caus i paid 2k extra for this one.. when i could of got a non trd for 10k. so just hoping i paid for what i thought i was suppose to get? =) it does have the trd sticker on the side.. it says prerunner on the back too. im all new to this. tacoma thing. i went from import cars to getting a brand new gixxer street bike now i got the truck to throw it on the back. btw this is a baddass truck. anyhow is there any other way i can find out? thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
btw u said the locker switch? so that is the one that say diff on the left right? thanks sorry im a noobe.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
This is what the rear diff lock switch looks like. RR Diff Lock.
It being a PreRunner I'm not sure about the rear locker option. one way to tell is climb under the rig and look at the rear axle and on the drivers side forward part of the axle you should see something that looks like the second picture.

This is out of an FJ but the switch looks the same.

See the actuator and housing on the side of it. Your should have one if it is a TRD, provided my memory serves me correct
Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
Hey thanks alot banshee.. thats is some very good information u have 4 me.. with pics too.. =) i will look on the bottom of the car tomorrow.. i do have that switch tho so i guess it is a real trd. thanks so much!