Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power outlet mod

Old 05-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdy2offrd88 View Post
Iv'e been looking at doing this but I can't seem to find a jumper. Ive looked at my local O'Reilys and online. Any help on where to locate on of these. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Why not just make one, with a piece of wire and a couple of crimp connectors. (Took less than 5 minutes when I did mine.)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
husqvarna 530rr is on a distinguished road
husqvarna 530rr's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having a bit if trouble. On my 2010 prerunner sport. My relay is behind the dash. Took the relay out and then took the relay apart and put a piece if rubber between the contacts. Bamb both sockets on all the time. The very next day neither sockets work. I accidentally plugged in my flashlight to the cig outlet. Pulled the relay and used just a jumper wire. The cig outlet works now but not the acc plug. Checked the fuses and all looks good.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #23
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd

Gotta get this mod on my list!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
offroad
kbbingham is on a distinguished road

Air Force: F-16 crew chief
kbbingham's Tacoma Gallery
Just came across this and did mine. Less than 5 min. Its great. Awesome write up.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbingham View Post
Just came across this and did mine. Less than 5 min. Its great. Awesome write up.
Did you make your own jumper or is there somewhere I can buy one? I'm not electrical savvy
Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #26
offroad
kbbingham is on a distinguished road

Air Force: F-16 crew chief
kbbingham's Tacoma Gallery
I made my own. 2 male connectors and a piece of wire. I could make you one if needed and mail it to ya or I'll be down your way around June 1st.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #27
mnger9 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Jerry
mnger9's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Jerry

Saw this in another thread, and am most definitely going to do it. Just got done fixing a short in my turn signal (converted to fog/running light), and was quite impressed to the attention to detail that Toyota put into a repair manual dedicated solely to plug housings. The thing is 430 pages long. As far as the power outlet, this drove me nuts from the get-go, so it's getting jumpered!!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #28
justintimesc is on a distinguished road
justintimesc's Tacoma Gallery
I made a jumper and placed it in the correct place but mine still only functions with the switch
Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #29
1st Gen Tacoma Driver
NH03Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Federal Bureau of Prisons
Name: John
NH03Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up! I've been looking for this. It has been an annoyance of mine that I'm not able to charge my phone while at work or running errands. I understand the logic behind why Toyota does it this way...but its still nice to be able to charge something while away. As to the concerns about coming back to find a dead battery, I suppose it could happen depending on many different factors...but every domestic vehicle I've owned does this already with no problems. Heck, even my Nissans had a constant "hot" IIRC...
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
justintimesc is on a distinguished road
justintimesc's Tacoma Gallery
Figured out why mine wouldn't work. I had my charger plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet instead of the accesory power outlet. This mod only makes the accessory outlets hot all the time. Maybe I would have realized this if I would of read it thorougly. Great mod tho.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #31
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed
Old 08-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #32
WyoBull is on a distinguished road
WyoBull's Tacoma Gallery
Nice mod!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #33
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
great to know!
Question: Can you mod your headlights so you are able to turn them off when the truck is running?! This is one thing that always makes me angry :@
Whenever my truck is running, the headlights come on with no way to turn them off.

NOTE: On the headlight controls coming off of the steering wheel, it has a couple turning settings. The setting that should be "off" is really on-and then the next twist they get a little brighter-then I still have my "brights" when I laterally move the control stick. This is normal, right?
Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #34
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohler View Post
great to know!
Question: Can you mod your headlights so you are able to turn them off when the truck is running?! This is one thing that always makes me angry :@
Whenever my truck is running, the headlights come on with no way to turn them off.

NOTE: On the headlight controls coming off of the steering wheel, it has a couple turning settings. The setting that should be "off" is really on-and then the next twist they get a little brighter-then I still have my "brights" when I laterally move the control stick. This is normal, right?
Sounds like you're looking disable your Daytime Running Lights (DRLs).
Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #35
kemosabee is on a distinguished road

Name: James
kemosabee's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kemosabee Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabee
Nice, will have to get this done this week.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #36
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Does it matter what gauge wire you use? Gonna go do this jump and the amazing grey wire locker mod and look up the daytime running light mod!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #39
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
^^ that's what I did-works great. Did those 3 mods. DLR mod didn't do what I wanted it to do.. If my tuck is running, the headlights must be on. I want a way to be able to turn them off (example be in park with truck running and have headlights off)
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #40
Arctic Taco is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Arctic Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My 98 has 3 power outlets OEM, maybe more in the future...