LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power outlet mod

Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Daily Driver "Plus"
smuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud of

Navy: 24 years Active Duty
Name: Frank
smuook's Tacoma Gallery
Power outlet mod

Simple mod that allows your 12v power outlets to be on when the truck is off. I wanted to be able to charge my phone while the truck is off. Simple schematic... remove the power outlet relay in the engine compartment relay box and install a jumper. Also provides a Accessory power tap for fog lights, etc.

Here's the jumper:

Relay location:

Remove relay and install jumper:

All finished:

The white wire is my new fog light tap into ACC Pwer that makes sure the fog lights turn on only when the truck is on so I won't accidentally kill my battery. Pretty simple, only about 10 min job. Everything tested and works great.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up. like the way you put time into it
Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
MK ULTRA is a name known to allMK ULTRA is a name known to allMK ULTRA is a name known to allMK ULTRA is a name known to allMK ULTRA is a name known to allMK ULTRA is a name known to all
Name: JIM
MK ULTRA's Tacoma Gallery
Do all Tacoma's have power outlets?

What years did it start and is this an option?

Thanks

Great site.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Possibly Batman
NeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to behold

NeoMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to NeoMoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK ULTRA View Post
Do all Tacoma's have power outlets?

What years did it start and is this an option?

Thanks

Great site.
The 05+ TRD packages have the power outlet.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure when the additional power outlets started, but my '02 has them, so I would assume that means they're on '01-'04 Tacos. Based on the post above, 05+ trucks have them too. I don't know if they were in the '00 and below?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau02 View Post
I'm not sure when the additional power outlets started, but my '02 has them, so I would assume that means they're on '01-'04 Tacos. Based on the post above, 05+ trucks have them too. I don't know if they were in the '00 and below?
you have a 110v outlet?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
The separate power outlets (other than the cigarette lighter) were available as early as the 1998 model year.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
you have a 110v outlet?
No, first gens don't have 110VAC outlets. See the first post in the thread - the author has an '04 and refers to the 12V power outlets in the truck. That is also what I'm referring to. I see you're probably right in that the post about the 05+ is referring to a 110VAC outlet, but the thread starter wasn't.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
NewEnglander
krlang is on a distinguished road

krlang's Tacoma Gallery
If it wasnt mentioned earlier,

There are three outlets in my 03
The one next to the ashtray, which has its own power source.
The two below on the filler panel, operated by the relay.

I jumpered out the relay and then added a relabled hazard switch in an empty switch hole next to them to turn the ground on and off.
I got the Hazard switch in a junkyard, cleaned off the red box and p-touched the area with "12V".

I wanted to be able to turn them on and off, when not in use.

It works good, my scanner is plugged into the upper socket normally, but if I want to listen with the truck off, I move it down a hole and press the button.

This picture shows the fusebox, the jumpered relay, and where I put the relay to use it for my foglights, the next relay socket is powered from the factory, so you just need to add the output and control wires. I ran the output to the two 10a fuses in the bottom corner of the box. One for each foglamp. then I tied the control wire through a switch to ground at the headlight ground, so it shuts off the foglights when the headlights are off.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
i only read what i want to
Old 04-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
althorp is on a distinguished road
althorp's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, SMUOOK, for that excellent mod description. Exactly what I was looking for! Great Site.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
sp0di is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Jay
sp0di's Tacoma Gallery
any thoughts if this would work on a Gen 2?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
Wandering But Not Lost
Rattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to behold

Rattler's Tacoma Gallery
I need to do this too.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
2004Taco will become famous soon enough

2004Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2004Taco Send a message via Yahoo to 2004Taco
(stupid question) Now having this mod done. Will it eventually kill the battery if you have something plugged in over night?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #16
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004Taco View Post
(stupid question) Now having this mod done. Will it eventually kill the battery if you have something plugged in over night?
Conceivably - yes. Bypassing the relay like this essentially makes for a 'constant hot' circuit direct to the battery.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Why not just make one, with a piece of wire and a couple of crimp connectors. (Took less than 5 minutes when I did mine.)

Great write-up, BTW, OP! Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
This is how I did mine......took out relay and put in jumper wire.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Rdy2offrd88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Rdy2offrd88's Tacoma Gallery
Iv'e been looking at doing this but I can't seem to find a jumper. Ive looked at my local O'Reilys and online. Any help on where to locate on of these. thanks