1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Spacers + Fender Flares?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Coldspire, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Nov 26, 2009 at 10:24 PM
    Coldspire

Coldspire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B-Rad
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Xtra Cab, 2.7L 4cyl. Manual
    Grill guard, Helo rims on Wrangler 245/75 R16s, Altezza taillights, Kenwood DVD Player
    Hey I have been looking at Bushwacker fender flares with the 'bolt on' look but can't find any that give 1.5 inches of coverage (for a 1st gen Tacoma). I have however found ones that give 3 inches but i think fender flares look awkward if they stick out further than your wheels so I was considereing getting the three inch ones and maybe 1.5 inch wheel spacers?

What do you guys (and gals) think? Would they make my truck look awkward? Pics of anybody with this style would help..

Here is a pic of my tires right now..

[​IMG]

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Also if anybody DOES know of 1.5 inch flares then let me know. :)

2. Nov 27, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    I don't have any pics, but I think the 3" flares with the 1.5" spacers would give a real sleek, agressive look, I don't think it would look akward at all

3. Jan 16, 2010 at 4:30 AM
    bladez

bladez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wheel spacers don't have the greatest reputation for safety plus they tend to wear out front end components prematurely (particularly ball-joints) if you haven't put a taller tire on to compensate. It won't help the front end but wheels with more offset are a safer alternative to wheel spacers. Overall you are probably better to go with smaller fender flares and less wheel offset. Check out the pics here of 1st gen Toyota Tacoma fender flares installed.

4. Jan 16, 2010 at 4:59 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    There are a lot of guys on here who have been running wheel spacers for years without any problems. Thats not to say you should or should not use them but there have been plenty of thread about it. I really like the fender flares and have been shopping around for a good deal on some too.

5. Jan 16, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    i dont have any pictures of my tires up close but i have the 3 inch flares and my tires actually still stick out of them.. there are companies who make the small fender flares. that are 1.5 inch.. i will try to find the thread and give you a name.

6. Jan 16, 2010 at 11:21 PM
    Coldspire

Coldspire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B-Rad
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Xtra Cab, 2.7L 4cyl. Manual
    Grill guard, Helo rims on Wrangler 245/75 R16s, Altezza taillights, Kenwood DVD Player
    Thanks everbody for the replies. Woudn't have guessed that a thread I started in November would give me results in January haha.

Products Discussed in

To Top