1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

slipping problems???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by houndsmen, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    houndsmen

houndsmen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have an '01 Tacoma four door auto. every time i am at a stop and press the accelerator to go i get a slipping like my truck is spinning the rear wheels but there not spinning?... what do you guys think this could be? tranny, rear end, or somethin else???

2. Nov 30, 2009 at 7:21 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I see its an 01. How many miles? If you haven't done it yet, you might be overdue.

If you have never had the transmission serviced, i would make that my 1st move. New fluid... i think there is a screen in there and not a 'filter' per say...

Depending on your handiness, i also don't think this is too tricky to do on that year. Get a 2nd opinion on that, though.

3. Nov 30, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    Kuneff

Kuneff Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    I would watch changing the fluid.. If it has never been done before, its a huge risk... Usually if you take something with 100k+ miles and change the fluid... it WILL start slipping... However.. If its already slipping... I would consider draining and filling the fluid (probably not a full flush) then I would without a doubt add some Lucas Tranny Additive.

I had a 93 Camry. 100k+ miles. Drained and Filled the tranny with fresh fluid. within 1k miles the tranny was slipping. So I talked to a few people, and decided to try it. I drained out some of the fresh fluid and added a bottle of Lucas. Within a few miles the slip was gone. I drove the car about another 15k miles, with no issues and sold it to a guy about 3-4 years ago. I saw/talked him back in early spring.. Still driving it with no issues. and his daily drive for work is about 80 miles a day.

4. Dec 1, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    houndsmen

houndsmen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    My tacoma now has 160k miles on it! it has never been changed i dont think? i bought it with 140k miles on it... i think i might just add some of that lucas oil in it? one guy said to pull the filter off and put a new one but im not sure on what to do? draining some of the old fluid and adding lucas oil sounds easier to do so i just might do that! :D

5. Dec 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Yeah I wonder if this could be a transmission issue or maybe a Torque Converter issue? I would suggest checking the level of the oil, it will explain how to do that in the manual.

I guess you can try some of that Lucas oil, you can put it in through the transmission dip stick.

6. Dec 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    It sounds like a tranny problem...my buddy said that 1st gen tacoma trannys go out fairly quick

7. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    Yes, it's definitely a transmission problem... I just replaced the clutch in my manual tranny. You need to check the fluid level first of all, that would be the most common problem with a slipping auto tranny. If the level isn't low then you need to dig a little deeper. Maybe a full service, drain, pull pan, change filter, refill. Also as mentioned above there could be a problem with your torque converter. Is it making any funny sounds..? Sometimes the fins in the torque converter decide to break off in there and the tend to make funny noises haha...

8. Dec 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    Yep, It's true. Never mess with tranny fluid if it hasn't been done before. Check the level, but don't change it. If it's low, just top it off, and see if that works. If not, then good luck, then sounds like you need some work done.

9. Dec 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Im my case with my 2000, i had some 'slipping' at, i think it was about 80,000 miles. Had the dealer change the fluid and and that took care of it.

Was great from that time right up to the buyback.

10. Dec 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    ok heres a good guide to change tranny fluid witch i reccomend however absolutely under no circumstances should you flush it aka DONT DO A TRANNY FLUSH

remove tranny pan, with a chisel and a razor blade scrape all of the toyota gunk off of the pan. i mean all of it or else it will leak!

find a synthetic gasket to replace this not a cork or rubber one, or get more toyota gunk from a dealer

remove little magnetic "filter" and wipe off using brake cleaner and make sure it is dry and clean before reinstalling.

replace with appropriate amounts of fluid (will be much more than the 2 qts toyota says *usually)

when you replace fluid use lucas transmission fix, however only 1 qt of it, and try to avoid using it again because it causes the bands in the transmission to lose their elasticity

i work at a tranny shop, pm me if you need any help

11. Dec 7, 2009 at 2:59 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    Ok, sorry to jack this thread, buy my A/T has been acting up too. It started shifting hard when going into 4th gear. 1st-3rd shift smooth, but going into 4th there is a hard "thunk" as it's engaging. I did a drain and fill and got about 2.5 qts of the old fluid and refilled. Drove it, and it seems a little better, or maybe that's just me. It did shift hard a couple times, but not as bad or all the time. The actual shifter lever inside the cab seems to be getting "stiff" while moving it through the gears now. It almost feels like the linkage is binding, but I never touched that while draining the fluid. It doesn't do it all the time, however. Sometimes it's smooth and sometimes I have to put a little more force on it to shift into or out of gear. I'm going to drain and fill once more to try and get more of the old fluid out, and then change/clean the filter. I've been told it's a metal screen that can be cleaned and replaced, but when I went to the parts stores, they show this (pic below) filter kit to replace it. It has a "screen" inside, but the outer casing is sealed. If that's what mine looks like, then how do you clean the screen? Why not just replace it?
    I hope this solves my trans issue, if not, do you have any other ideas what it could be?
    Specs: '01 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4, 4spd Auto (19 bolt pan), 70K miles

[​IMG]

12. Dec 7, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    you dont need anything from the parts store its just a flat magnet essentially, whipe it off with brake cleaner and replace, your shift problem, if its still continueing check your fluid levels, it usually takes more than 2.5qts, also go get a syntheric gasket, i hate the rubber and cork ones for the pan and make sure to get all absolutely all of the toyota gunk off the pan or else it will leak the only thing you need is a gasket

13. Dec 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    ScottyB

ScottyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD V6
    Bilstein 5100's

Figured I'd add to this rather than make my own post sooo here we go. The truck I bought recently seems like the gear changes are a little rough. It's got 175k miles on it. I was considering taking it to a shop and having the tranny flushed and getting new fluid put in it. Is there a reason not to have it flushed? With the amount of miles on it the lucas sounds like a good idea though. I've had good experiences with it in other transmissions.

Products Discussed in

To Top