LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stock 1st gen drums 02 Tacoma to 02 Sequoia disks? Can it be done?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
Stock 1st gen drums 02 Tacoma to 02 Sequoia disks? Can it be done?

So here's the deal... I was looking at an 02 Toyota Sequoia's rear end/disk breaks. They are a 6 lug pattern and come stock with 16" rims (same as 01-04 Tacoma). I was thinking of swaping my rear drum breaks on my 02 Tacoma with the rear disk break setup form that generation of Sequoia. Has anybody done this, heard of it done, or am I the first to think of it? Any and ALL input is welcome.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
SYC TACO
VixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Victor
VixTacom's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to VixTacom
i've nvr heard of it b4. i guess there is a first for evrythin
Old 12-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Sweet. I hope I have just found a way to do a rear disk break swap without buying an $800 kit. If the parts will fit I will definately do it. If I am successful, I will post a thread with pics and instructions on how to accomplish this.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Gray beard
MarkOlson is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MarkOlson's Tacoma Gallery
My son and I did a similar upgrade with his 88 Honda CRX. We tranplanted the rear disk brakes from a 91-93 Acura Integra. However, the rear disk calipers behaved very differently than the drums, relative to hydraulic pressure. As a result, we also had to replace the CRX brake proportioning valve with the Integra proportioning valve to ensure the proper balance of hydraulic pressure from front to back. We could do this because the Integra front brakes were identical to the CRX front brakes.

If the Sequoia's front brakes are close enough to the Tacomo fronts, then you could do the same thing. If not, you may need a custom proportioning valve. Not ensuring the proper balance in brake pressure from front to back could lead to a dangerous braking setup.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #5

I was going to use the proportioning valve out of the sequoia. It takes more pressure to squeeze disk pads together than it does to push drum shoes apart. So there are a few things from the sequoia's break setup that I will have to use.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Gray beard
MarkOlson is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MarkOlson's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to hear how it works. Keep us posted.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #7

Will do. I really hope this works.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
BG04Taco has a spectacular aura aboutBG04Taco has a spectacular aura aboutBG04Taco has a spectacular aura about

BG04Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Ive heard that discs brakes on the rear don't always work the best depending on certain conditions. Thats what I read on TW. If it works well I wouldn't mind having it myself.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
when are you gona try it?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Anything can be done....but..... brakes are more complicated than that and swapping from drums to discs involves a lot more than you'd probably think.

It's NOT a bolt on modification.

I've swapped to discs on my Jeep Wrangler, but I also put a different Master Cylinder in (disc/disc) and a different proportioning valve in. Master cylinders are NOT the same from disc/drum to disc/disc setups.

You also have ABS, sensors, and other things that might not work properly after you change to discs.
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...kes/index.html

Seriously, do some research and learn exactly how brakes work. I spent 3 weeks researching about brakes before I put discs on my Wrangler. It's interesting stuff to learn and you'll understand WHY going to discs is NOT a bolt -on setup.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
when are you gona try it?
I'm going to do some research and find out everything that I need to do and get for the swap. Then I have to find a Sequoia that I can pull the rear end out of. And THEN I'll go for the swap.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Anything can be done....but..... brakes are more complicated than that and swapping from drums to discs involves a lot more than you'd probably think.

It's NOT a bolt on modification.

I've swapped to discs on my Jeep Wrangler, but I also put a different Master Cylinder in (disc/disc) and a different proportioning valve in. Master cylinders are NOT the same from disc/drum to disc/disc setups.

You also have ABS, sensors, and other things that might not work properly after you change to discs.
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...kes/index.html

Seriously, do some research and learn exactly how brakes work. I spent 3 weeks researching about brakes before I put discs on my Wrangler. It's interesting stuff to learn and you'll understand WHY going to discs is NOT a bolt -on setup.
I'm doing research soon and I gotta figure out what I need to take from the sequoia to get the disks to work properly.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
blegros is on a distinguished road
blegros's Tacoma Gallery
wouldn"t getting 03 tacoma rear discs and hardware be easier?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #14

The 03's have rear disks?!?!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
The 03's have rear disks?!?!
Nope, they're drums.

Unless I was jipped.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #16
blegros is on a distinguished road
blegros's Tacoma Gallery
sorry I was mistaken, 03 was 4 wheel ABS, I was thinking 4 wheel disc and ABS
Old 12-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
why do you need rear disc. I always thought I wanted them for better stopping power, somehow believing that my current setup was inadequate for all the towing I do. My buddies '00 dodge ram cummins diesel had rear drums and that truck has pulled 5th wheels larger than anything I could every imagine to tow with the taco. I figure if its good enough for him (he has never not been able to stop in time) then they are good enough for me.
My 2 cents
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #18
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I say go for it...

I had an 87 CRX Si years back. I really wanted to put rear disc's on it. I talked to my friend that is the sales manager at a local yard. He said there was no way it would fit. I told him I could make it work. We had a bet... If I could not get it to work, I had to pay for the parts, no returns... BUT If I was able to prove him wrong and make it work, the parts were free.

I pulled the complete rear axle out of a 88 Integra, trailing arms, shocks, brake lines, everything... then I pulled the proportioning valve, brake booster and master cylinder. It may have been a little over kill, but I unbolted EVERYTHING and tore my car apart... Within a few hours i had rear disc's on my 87 CRX Si.

I also swapped my 90 Mustang GT out to rear brakes.. That was a lil more work since it was a full Cobra Brake swap. 93 Cobra Brake Booster, Master, had to run new lines, 81 (if I remember right) proportioning valve... but the valve had to get gutted of the spring and plunger and such and capped off with a special FMS cap. Then I used a Wilwood adjustable valve. It took quite a few times of messing around on gravel & dirt roads, along with wet roads to get it just right...

My only fear would be messing with the ABS, if your Tacoma doesn't have ABS, then you have nothing to worry about... GO FOR IT!!! and post pics...
Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #19

Sounds VERY similar to what MarkOlson did. I only have ABS in the front. So I don;t think anything will get messed up as far as ABS goes.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #20
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
You should swap tundra/sequoia brakes on the front too, this has been done before and from what Ive heard is a very good upgrade. Theres a lot of information on ttora.com