1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock 1st gen drums 02 Tacoma to 02 Sequoia disks? Can it be done?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Sheepdog, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    Sheepdog

Sheepdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab, 4x4, TRD, SR5
    Eibach/Bilsteins, Beefed shackles, Bushwacker Cut-Outs, Custom roll bar, TG Sliders, Elite Front Bumper, XRC8 Winch
    So here's the deal... I was looking at an 02 Toyota Sequoia's rear end/disk breaks. They are a 6 lug pattern and come stock with 16" rims (same as 01-04 Tacoma). I was thinking of swaping my rear drum breaks on my 02 Tacoma with the rear disk break setup form that generation of Sequoia. Has anybody done this, heard of it done, or am I the first to think of it? Any and ALL input is welcome.

2. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    VixTacom

VixTacom SYC TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Wayne, NJ
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TRD
    LED's and Neon Glow inside, Blacked out front end, 4X4 with Locking Diff, 5spd Manual, TRD package, CB Radio, Gray Wire Mod, Thrush exhaust system, Tinted marker lights, tailights, interior lights
    i've nvr heard of it b4. i guess there is a first for evrythin

3. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    Sheepdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Eibach/Bilsteins, Beefed shackles, Bushwacker Cut-Outs, Custom roll bar, TG Sliders, Elite Front Bumper, XRC8 Winch
    Sweet. I hope I have just found a way to do a rear disk break swap without buying an $800 kit. If the parts will fit I will definately do it. If I am successful, I will post a thread with pics and instructions on how to accomplish this.

4. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    MarkOlson

MarkOlson Gray beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Regular Cab
    My son and I did a similar upgrade with his 88 Honda CRX. We tranplanted the rear disk brakes from a 91-93 Acura Integra. However, the rear disk calipers behaved very differently than the drums, relative to hydraulic pressure. As a result, we also had to replace the CRX brake proportioning valve with the Integra proportioning valve to ensure the proper balance of hydraulic pressure from front to back. We could do this because the Integra front brakes were identical to the CRX front brakes.

If the Sequoia's front brakes are close enough to the Tacomo fronts, then you could do the same thing. If not, you may need a custom proportioning valve. Not ensuring the proper balance in brake pressure from front to back could lead to a dangerous braking setup.

5. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    Sheepdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I was going to use the proportioning valve out of the sequoia. It takes more pressure to squeeze disk pads together than it does to push drum shoes apart. So there are a few things from the sequoia's break setup that I will have to use.

6. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM
    MarkOlson

MarkOlson Gray beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Regular Cab
    Can't wait to hear how it works. Keep us posted.

7. Dec 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM
    Sheepdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Will do. I really hope this works.

8. Dec 2, 2009 at 11:31 PM
    BG04

BG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    Ive heard that discs brakes on the rear don't always work the best depending on certain conditions. Thats what I read on TW. If it works well I wouldn't mind having it myself.

9. Dec 2, 2009 at 11:36 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    when are you gona try it?

10. Dec 3, 2009 at 4:11 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Anything can be done....but..... brakes are more complicated than that and swapping from drums to discs involves a lot more than you'd probably think.

It's NOT a bolt on modification.

I've swapped to discs on my Jeep Wrangler, but I also put a different Master Cylinder in (disc/disc) and a different proportioning valve in. Master cylinders are NOT the same from disc/drum to disc/disc setups.

You also have ABS, sensors, and other things that might not work properly after you change to discs.
    http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0708_4x4_disc_brakes/index.html

Seriously, do some research and learn exactly how brakes work. I spent 3 weeks researching about brakes before I put discs on my Wrangler. It's interesting stuff to learn and you'll understand WHY going to discs is NOT a bolt -on setup.

11. Dec 3, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    Sheepdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to do some research and find out everything that I need to do and get for the swap. Then I have to find a Sequoia that I can pull the rear end out of. And THEN I'll go for the swap.

12. Dec 3, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    Sheepdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I'm doing research soon and I gotta figure out what I need to take from the sequoia to get the disks to work properly.

13. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    blegros

blegros Member

Member:
    wouldn"t getting 03 tacoma rear discs and hardware be easier?

14. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    Sheepdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    The 03's have rear disks?!?!

15. Dec 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Nope, they're drums.

Unless I was jipped.

16. Dec 7, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    blegros

blegros Member

Member:
    sorry I was mistaken, 03 was 4 wheel ABS, I was thinking 4 wheel disc and ABS

17. Dec 9, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    why do you need rear disc. I always thought I wanted them for better stopping power, somehow believing that my current setup was inadequate for all the towing I do. My buddies '00 dodge ram cummins diesel had rear drums and that truck has pulled 5th wheels larger than anything I could every imagine to tow with the taco. I figure if its good enough for him (he has never not been able to stop in time) then they are good enough for me.
    My 2 cents

18. Dec 9, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    Kuneff

Kuneff Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    I say go for it...

I had an 87 CRX Si years back. I really wanted to put rear disc's on it. I talked to my friend that is the sales manager at a local yard. He said there was no way it would fit. I told him I could make it work. We had a bet... If I could not get it to work, I had to pay for the parts, no returns... BUT If I was able to prove him wrong and make it work, the parts were free. :D

I pulled the complete rear axle out of a 88 Integra, trailing arms, shocks, brake lines, everything... then I pulled the proportioning valve, brake booster and master cylinder. It may have been a little over kill, but I unbolted EVERYTHING and tore my car apart... Within a few hours i had rear disc's on my 87 CRX Si.

I also swapped my 90 Mustang GT out to rear brakes.. That was a lil more work since it was a full Cobra Brake swap. 93 Cobra Brake Booster, Master, had to run new lines, 81 (if I remember right) proportioning valve... but the valve had to get gutted of the spring and plunger and such and capped off with a special FMS cap. Then I used a Wilwood adjustable valve. It took quite a few times of messing around on gravel & dirt roads, along with wet roads to get it just right...

My only fear would be messing with the ABS, if your Tacoma doesn't have ABS, then you have nothing to worry about... GO FOR IT!!! and post pics...

19. Dec 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    Sheepdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Sounds VERY similar to what MarkOlson did. I only have ABS in the front. So I don;t think anything will get messed up as far as ABS goes.

20. Dec 9, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    You should swap tundra/sequoia brakes on the front too, this has been done before and from what Ive heard is a very good upgrade. Theres a lot of information on ttora.com

Products Discussed in

To Top