1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Payload Overload?? Need Advice.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Beau02, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Dec 3, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I'm looking for a sanity check here. Tonight I loaded up the bed of my truck with cut firewood. Don't ask why, but tomorrow I'll be driving my loaded truck about 300 miles, primarily via interstate. I see in the manual that the maximum payload rating is 1510 lbs. I don't know how much the bed-load weighs, but the rear is sagging pretty much. I wouldn't think it exceeds 1500 lbs, but loads like that really add up.

I've actually done this before, but cared less about the truck then, and try to treat it better nowadays. Didn't seem to have any issues the first time, but still figured I'd consult the 'experts' here before casting off. For the record, the tires are virtually brand new (Michelin LTX M/S) as are the shocks (Bilstein 5100).

Any advice? Am I a dumbass for doing it, or am I concerned for nothing? For the record, I don't plan on exceeding the speed limits much, and I've checked the tire pressures and set them just barely above door jam stated numbers.

2. Dec 3, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    another gsxr 1k

another gsxr 1k Active Member

Member:
    Jax, Florida
    Vehicle:
    03 DCab PreRunner
    Tonneau cover, Fog and dual purpose backup / warning lights, tinted windows, stereo upgrade vent shades
    You'll be fine. Just remember that the truck will handle different and take longer to stop.
    I loaded my last truck (91 toy 4x4) completely full tailgate to cab to the rails with granite for a rock wall.
    Even with add-a-leafs it was about 3/4" off the bump stops. It handled the weight just fine, even on the off road section where the utility company blasted the rock out for a pipe line.

3. Dec 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Just drive it as a loaded vehicle and you'll be fine. It's not like the truck instantly explodes if you put 1511 lbs in the bed. Toyota has to draw a line somewhere where handling characteristics start to become problematic/unsafe and hand liability over to the owner if they decide to exceed it.

There are stories on here regularly of guys towing 10,000+ lbs with 4.0L 2nd gens for short distances (a few miles or less) and the trucks are no worse for it...just gotta keep the situation in mind.

Are you tow package equipped? I.e. tranny/oil cooler? That will give you some extra margin of comfort.

4. Dec 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    No tow package. I know at the end of the day this won't gain me much, but I did recently replace the ATF and f/r differential oil.

5. Dec 3, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    MotoXXX

MotoXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre-Runner
    Wont be the best for those shocks! Drive it! I love my Firestone air bags, rides like stock when not needed and rides great when loaded down with two dirt bikes and all the camping gear.

6. Jan 6, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    I have had 2000lb in the bed of mine with stock springs and stock bilstien shocks. My springs are worn from doing it so they would sag under a lighter load. I put in an AAL and it took care of it.

7. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:57 AM
    humtaco

humtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Check how much travel is left on your shocks and how far away your bumpstops are from their contact points.

I noticed on my 95 with the Bilstein 5100s the shocks will bottom under load.

8. Jan 6, 2010 at 6:03 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Just be conscious of what you are doing and where you are. You'll need extra stopping distance and maneuvering space around road hazards/other drivers...So leave yourself that space as you drive.

Products Discussed in

To Top