Notices

Payload Overload?? Need Advice.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
Payload Overload?? Need Advice.

I'm looking for a sanity check here. Tonight I loaded up the bed of my truck with cut firewood. Don't ask why, but tomorrow I'll be driving my loaded truck about 300 miles, primarily via interstate. I see in the manual that the maximum payload rating is 1510 lbs. I don't know how much the bed-load weighs, but the rear is sagging pretty much. I wouldn't think it exceeds 1500 lbs, but loads like that really add up.

I've actually done this before, but cared less about the truck then, and try to treat it better nowadays. Didn't seem to have any issues the first time, but still figured I'd consult the 'experts' here before casting off. For the record, the tires are virtually brand new (Michelin LTX M/S) as are the shocks (Bilstein 5100).

Any advice? Am I a dumbass for doing it, or am I concerned for nothing? For the record, I don't plan on exceeding the speed limits much, and I've checked the tire pressures and set them just barely above door jam stated numbers.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
another gsxr 1k is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Radioman 1989-1994
another gsxr 1k's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine. Just remember that the truck will handle different and take longer to stop.
I loaded my last truck (91 toy 4x4) completely full tailgate to cab to the rails with granite for a rock wall.
Even with add-a-leafs it was about 3/4" off the bump stops. It handled the weight just fine, even on the off road section where the utility company blasted the rock out for a pipe line.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Just drive it as a loaded vehicle and you'll be fine. It's not like the truck instantly explodes if you put 1511 lbs in the bed. Toyota has to draw a line somewhere where handling characteristics start to become problematic/unsafe and hand liability over to the owner if they decide to exceed it.

There are stories on here regularly of guys towing 10,000+ lbs with 4.0L 2nd gens for short distances (a few miles or less) and the trucks are no worse for it...just gotta keep the situation in mind.

Are you tow package equipped? I.e. tranny/oil cooler? That will give you some extra margin of comfort.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
. . . Are you tow package equipped? I.e. tranny/oil cooler? That will give you some extra margin of comfort.
No tow package. I know at the end of the day this won't gain me much, but I did recently replace the ATF and f/r differential oil.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
MotoXXX has a spectacular aura aboutMotoXXX has a spectacular aura aboutMotoXXX has a spectacular aura about

MotoXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Wont be the best for those shocks! Drive it! I love my Firestone air bags, rides like stock when not needed and rides great when loaded down with two dirt bikes and all the camping gear.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
I have had 2000lb in the bed of mine with stock springs and stock bilstien shocks. My springs are worn from doing it so they would sag under a lighter load. I put in an AAL and it took care of it.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
humtaco is on a distinguished road
humtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Check how much travel is left on your shocks and how far away your bumpstops are from their contact points.

I noticed on my 95 with the Bilstein 5100s the shocks will bottom under load.