Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma Frame Rot

Old 12-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
RustyYota is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
RustyYota's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Frame Rot

I'm new to this forum thing and excuse my ignorance to the system if i am once again posting in the wrong place... Living here in the rust belt I have a 2000 tacoma with pretty bad frame rot. It is primarily on the inside of the frame from about 6 inches in front of the cross member for the drive shaft to about halfway down the gas tank. It is nearly rotten the whole whole height of the frame. My hammer pops right through it wherever i have room to swing! I plan on driving the old girl thru the winter. I want to make sure that I get a buy-back and not a repaired frame, as I have a leaky main seal and a cold engine rod knock. I will post pictures of the frame tomorrow.
Thanks, Dave
Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure you'll be part of the buybacks. Have it checked with your local dealer to be sure.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
Your in the same boat as me. It would be a buy back on the 2000, NOT a frame replacement. My frame sounds just as bad as yours, but I'm going to wait until Spring to take mine in.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:17 AM   #4
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
The sooner you go in, the higher the 1.5 bluebook value.

Also, if the frame is in that bad of shape, a thinking man would probably take it in sooner rather than later so as to be actually still be around (alive, not maimed, etc) to collect the buyback cash.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #5
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2000 4WD Reg Cab, and they bought it back in October. I had had it inspected about 18 months ago and it passed, but failed this time when I took it in, as a "just in case" precaution before I put new shocks, brakes and tires on.
I bought it used in 2004 with about 80K on it for $10,500. When the bought it back, it had 171K on it, many usage dings, and rubber on their last revolutions.
They paid me $10,740 for it. So...they paid me $240 to drive it for 5 years! They added a couple of bucks for the after market trailer hitch I had added, calling it a "tow package".....So I would recommend that anyone who has the frame rot, to get it inspected as soon as possible...it is to your advantage.
Another friend of mine had a 00 Access Cab, 4WD, V6, auto....and he got over $15K for his....pocketed about $3K, and bought a 2000 Tundra....now that may be bought back for the same reason!

Bottom line: Don't wait! Get it inspected as soon as possible!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't owned my truck for 6 months yet.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
i have had mine for 2 weeks. But my frame is NICE!!! Maybe by the cut off point it may be shitty. By then I may be done clearing the property off and not need a beater truck.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
Your in the same boat as me. It would be a buy back on the 2000, NOT a frame replacement. My frame sounds just as bad as yours, but I'm going to wait until Spring to take mine in.
I inspected mine when I had owned this Tacoma for only 10 months. I'm on 14 months now.
The Tech at the dealer said he would pass it this year, but it will not pass after another winter in the Shelburne/South Burlington salt.

Bottom line, I thing you just need to get it inspected at least a year after the previous owner did. So see if you can find out when the previous owner got it inspected, if he/she did at all. If they didn't, than go get her recalled.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
RustyYota is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
RustyYota's Tacoma Gallery
Frame pictures..

Heres the deal guys, I bought the truck about a year and a half ago. To my knowledge it hasnt ever had the frame inspection done. The holes are pretty clear in the image and I can actually enlarge the hole just pushing with my fingers. I called my local dealer and they said to just bring it in. I am just paranoid that I will bring it in and the mechanic there wants to try out his new MIG and i end up with a repair and not a 2003 TRD...If i bring it in I dont think i will be able to say "no, dont fix it i want to keep driving it until i am eligable for the money". Also does anyone know if that money is towards a new toyota product or just a check to me. I will be shocked if these pictures actually work, im not so internet savvy
Thanks a lot

Old 12-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Get that shit checked out and wait for the check from Toyota, your truck will definitely not pass the rust inspection.