Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Deck Plate Mod

Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
01YotaTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
01YotaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Deck Plate Mod

Decided to do the deck plate mod on my 01 Taco and i love it. It changed the tone of my truck, made it crazy loud, and gave me wayy better throttle response. Thanks to all you guys that told me about it.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
It's one of the best cheap mods you can do to your truck. Glad you like it!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
The One, The Only
da0023 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
my air box has the grooves in it, is it still possible to do the deck plate mod and still be able to seal off the deck plate?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by da0023 View Post
my air box has the grooves in it, is it still possible to do the deck plate mod and still be able to seal off the deck plate?
yupp
Old 12-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I don't remember where I found it, maybe Yotatech forums or CustomTacos, but there's a write up with pictures of the 2.7L airbox getting deck plate mod'd. Just use sensor safe silcone sealant and you're good, and let it sit overnight before you install the airbox and drive the truck.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
gatorboyy13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
gatorboyy13's Tacoma Gallery
I have read alot on this and would like to do it, but i am a noob when it comes to stuff like that do you think it would be easy for me?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #8

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/2-7l-taco...omplete-12624/

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ight=deckplate

http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/.../deckplate.htm

Here's a couple links for you to read before you decide. The last is for the 6 cyl. but same idea.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
01YotaTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
01YotaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Gettin Exhaust monday so it should be real nice after that.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
DaytonLax14 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
DaytonLax14's Tacoma Gallery
so, it will make the truck louder, correct? seriously thinking about doing this if it's easy enough.

Just need to find where I can get a deck plate....
Old 12-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
BG04Taco is a jewel in the roughBG04Taco is a jewel in the roughBG04Taco is a jewel in the roughBG04Taco is a jewel in the rough

BG04Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonLax14 View Post
so, it will make the truck louder, correct? seriously thinking about doing this if it's easy enough.

Just need to find where I can get a deck plate....
Ive done it and its great I wish I would have had it when I went to colorado for my truck to breath. You can get them at a marine or boat shop I went to a boat store the guy didn't know what I was talking about but then I found one in his inventory.

Most and I have one that is 4 try to find one that is 3 inch diameter should be good enough.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #12

not many boat stores in ohio ha ha.

might have to order one off ebay
Old 12-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
Third Coast
texasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud of

texasbowhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Do it, you'll love it. It's real easy and there is a ton of info. on how to do it if you have questions.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnv View Post
You dont have to cut a hole in the airbox just remove the Elbow thats goes from the airbox into the fender this is what restricts alot of airflow to the engine,the performance results will be the same as a deckplate deal without the cutting,just take out the 2, 10mm bolts and pull off the elbow,there will be a gap now between the fender and whats the stubby end of the intake alot of roaddust got into my engine bay from it,I went to HomeDepot(plumbing section) and got what I think they call a pipe reducer it takes a 3"diameter pipe(fenderwell hole) and reduces it to a 2" diameter(whats left stubbyend intake box) its black plastic and it comes with 2 hose clamps a couplebucks I trimmed it up with a razor knife,chucked the clamps and fitted in that gap and it seals(the gap) it perfectly its black and looks strictly OEM no more dust in engine. You can search out this mod at other webs TTORA,YotaTech,CustomTacos etc. its called the ElbowMod
I did that, but still had more gain with the deck plate.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #15
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Really? Gain as far as MPGS or HP? I think youll only get a 5hp gain not much with the deckplate? and as far as MPGs some people swear they got gains others say they lost. I neverchecked the MPGs or Hp with the elbow mod but it seems to let the engine breath better although I got no numbers to prove Hps or others it might just be all in my head,plus if I ever sell the truck(never) I wont have to explain the big hole in the airbox.
I got just over 5 hp with the Deck plate. Nothing outside the error margine of the dyno with the elbow mod.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Really? Gain as far as MPGS or HP? I think youll only get a 5hp gain not much with the deckplate? and as far as MPGs some people swear they got gains others say they lost. I neverchecked the MPGs or Hp with the elbow mod but it seems to let the engine breath better although I got no numbers to prove Hps or others it might just be all in my head,plus if I ever sell the truck(never) I wont have to explain the big hole in the airbox.
The thing I like about the deck plate is that once you put the plate in, it's back to factory stock. I could see if you just cut a hole in the air box and left it like that not doing it, but going the whole way and installing the deckplate makes the change reversible.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #17

what should i buy to seal off where the grooves are?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonLax14 View Post
what should i buy to seal off where the grooves are?
When installin gthe deck plate, use a sealant. Run a bead around it, and it should seal everything. I use a "Sensor Safe" Blue RTV.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #19
"Who's got the cookie?"
ROTTIRUNNER has a spectacular aura aboutROTTIRUNNER has a spectacular aura about

Army: Spec, Ammo Bunny
Name: Dee or 'D' if ya know me
ROTTIRUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good

I've been meaning to do this I just have to find a boat shop.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 AM   #20

same here. i will probably be getting one off ebay