1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running boards/nerf bars?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DaytonLax14, Dec 5, 2009.

?

Did you keep the running boards on?

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Apr 20, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Amen to that. I just washed & waxed the truck for the first time this year and I was amazed I didn't have more junk stuck to the rockers (my OEM running boards).

I agree with most....if you offroad at all, get rocksliders. The square tube rocksliders (that Demello makes) are awesome for stepping on, peventing door dings, jacking the truck up from, and you could pobably have them covered (flat plate) to prevent road debris. Just not sure they make the square tube sliders for 2nd gens.

2. Jul 13, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    Voyageur

Voyageur Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    Sierra Beige
    My truck had them when I bought it used, I wouldn't of put them on but my wife is short so they will stay I guess.

3. Jul 13, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    SixtyDashOne

SixtyDashOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    Collegeville, PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 ArmyGreen TRD Sport, 2007 Regular Cab 4x4
    Definately Bull bars over Running boards.. running boards are for S.U.V.'s

Shameless plug, but if anybody is interested in a new set of NERF bars, i have a set fs :)

4. Jul 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    IamTacO

IamTacO red balls got me!

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    QC az
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5 TRD-Offroad
    4x2 Prerunner. Hankook Dynapro ATM rf10 265-65-16, e-locker FTW! Morimoto d2s bi-xenon HID projectors, Philips 85122+ 4300K, Cobra 75 w/ 3' firefly, Kenwood KDC-MP342U w/ SIRIUS, Line-x bed liner, 4' coretrax(black)
    i had running boards until i went offroading with some local people. destroyed both sides in a river bed. i don't have them anymore, but on the bright side, they took it for the team and saved my truck from rocks. one time use i guess.

if you choose to do any real offroad trails, neither one will save you

5. Jul 22, 2010 at 12:42 AM
    Arjay70

Arjay70 Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma access cab with custom rack
    aluminum rack with many features, tool box in bed
    All right, young people, here's an opinion and some questions from a 62 year-old. My '06 Taco has a toolbox in the bed not for looks but for the chainsaw, the comealong, the tow straps, the tiedowns, etc., etc. I am building a house up a "road" and haul building materials like rock and such, after loading it by hand (ahem), so we can knock off the old people/young people stuff! I was driving pickups before some of you had, um, hair, so let's get on with it.
    The reason I am looking into some sort of step or short bar is that I have a messed up back that doesn't like torque, as in getting into a high truck. That's all. No image crap, no ego, just function.

So, what are my options? I found simple alum. steps, but they don't attach to the frame, which is where I assume I want to attach something. Not interested in fancy appearance, just function. Don't want plain steel; no time for rust. Stainless or aluminum.

So, youngsters, what do you have to say?

6. Jul 22, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Nerf bars mount to the frame. Running boards generally don't. Nerfs can come with a chrome finish to minimize rust issues. The Smittybuilt brand is common for these but there are others.

7. Jul 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    Arjay70

Arjay70 Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma access cab with custom rack
    aluminum rack with many features, tool box in bed
    I'm definitely looking for something that mounts to the frame (meaning, to me, the large member I can see recessed in several inches from the outside edge of the body, not just under the door). I don't think I need anything long, either, just a step that's not slick and won't rust. The aluminum cast steps I've seen seem fine, but they don't seem to attach to the frame. Wish I could weld!

8. Aug 5, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    keeganfl

keeganfl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keegan
    Martin County,FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 Prerunner,5 inch lift
    offroad fog and lights,pa,rough country suspension kit 2.5 inches,and leveling kit in the front.bilstein 5100,4X 150 watt lights
    more clearence,and dont need them to climb into the truck they just take up space

9. Aug 6, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    I don't like the look of 'em & I was going to take my running boards off when I first got my truck, but it is kinda nice to have that step to get up into my truck. Plus, they are handy as they keep mud & stuff off the side of the truck & I have no rock chips on the sides so that's cool! I guess if & when I get sliders (some day hopefully) they will come off.:D

10. Aug 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    iDigTulsa

iDigTulsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    03 DoubleCab TRD SR5 4x4
    Free Alarm Mod, Grey Wire Mod, Reverse Leaf Spring Helper Mod, Kenwood Deck, Memphis 10'', Yakima Roof Rack, Debadged Sides,Silver Toyota Skid Plate, Injen CIA, 3.5'' Amsoil Dry Filter, 17 x 7.5 Tundra Split Spoke Alloy's
    I've been thinking recently of getting a full OME suspension setup for my truck, but with my wedding coming up in October I decided to hold off. Two weeks ago I got a crazy idea and a sudden burst of energy and removed my chrome tube steps from the truck (Which were already on it when I purchased it 5 years ago)....Now I feel like I gained a full 3 inches of ground clearance every time I look at my truck!! If for nothing else, look at as the poor mans lift!

11. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    square rock crusher sliders, make great steps, and offer protection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:11 AM
    lvstickers

lvstickers Battle Born Toyotas- Founder

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM 4X4 SR5
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers w/resis and DSC Bilstein 5100s with AAL in rear Total Chaos UCAs Total Chaos LCA Skids 17" Method Standard Wheels Hankook MTs 315/70/17 Custom Prerunner Style Bumper Custom Tire Carrier 30" Toughlight Lightbar Rigid Dually Pods Viair Onboard Air
    I have some chrome nerf bars on my taco. However, they came with the truck (used) and I don't really like them, especially because they don't match my new wheels. I was going to get some black nerf bars, but maybe I'll invest in some rock sliders instead :cool:

13. Oct 6, 2010 at 5:24 AM
    low12

low12 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RUFFIAN
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 V6
    I installed OEM Running Boards due to it being flat and safe for my kids get on and off my truck. The only time I step on it is when I am washing and waxing my truck and to get to the roof top. I thought it also gives a 'Cool' look effect.
    [​IMG]

14. Oct 6, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    SuperTacoma

SuperTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Silver
    I put nerf bars on for 2 reasons
    1) Short wife - makes it easier to get in
    2) Urban jungle protections - Recaps, Door dings etc.
    It also helps to get to spots I can't reach when washing the truck.

15. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    dirtytaco2010

dirtytaco2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south lake tahoe, CA baby
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Sport LB
    custom badging, Black Badges, tint, General AT/2's, nerf bars black, ultra-gauge,toytec AAL, removed mud flaps, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75, AFE pro dry s air fliter, spidertrax, black rock 17'' wheels
    i have nerf's but im thinking im gonna ditch them. only perk is nice for getting in and out especially in the snow

16. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Should have bought a car!!! :p :)

17. May 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    I put OEM running boards on mine. When I had my Jeep I was a more serious off-roader, so rock rails were a must, but these days I am driving on lots of gravel roads every day for work, so I figured they were a good way to protect from gravel chips. It will also make it easier to get stuff in and out of my toolbox, since I am in there quite a bit.
    Normally I don't care for the look of running boards, but the OEM ones for the Taco do look good to me. I think because they don't turn up at the wheel wells.
    On a previous Toyota pickup I had nerf bars, but I think the tubular bars look 80s to me, like tubular bumpers.

Products Discussed in

To Top