LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Running boards/nerf bars?

View Poll Results: Did you keep the running boards on?
Yes 55 55.56%
No 44 44.44%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
DaytonLax14 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
DaytonLax14's Tacoma Gallery
Running boards/nerf bars?

My 98 came with them, but I noticed some people have taken them off. What do you do and why?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Running boards are for old people. So are Nerf bars. I personally have never liked the look of either. They make the truck look...suburbanized.

If you like the look of them, than get something that can actually be functional, like rock sliders.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
Running boards are for old people. So are Nerf bars. I personally have never liked the look of either. They make the truck look...suburbanized.

If you like the look of them, than get something that can actually be functional, like rock sliders.
Bite your tonque there little weeeee man........
Old 12-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
People take them off for a variety of reasons. You'd have to ask every person individually.....

I had a set of nerf bars when I was YOUNGER on my 96 tacoma. I started offroading with my truck and WHAM - got high centered, bent the livin shit outta the nerfs. Sooo, I took them off and got some rock sliders. I must admit, the nerfs did take a lot of offroad abuse before they caved in. As I always say....you're better off having 'something' there or else your rocker panels are taking the abuse.

I'm OLD now....and I have running boards on my 07. I don't offroad and I bought them to help protect my truck from door dings & I use them as a step to reach my windows.

But if you ever plan on offroading - I highly recommend taking them off and getting rock sliders. I've seen a lot of people go offroad and rip their nerfs/running boards off.

If you don't go offroad....perhaps they just don't like the way they look and want to change?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
HAHA whoops Janster... 42 isn't old though.

I've just seen too many 60-75 year olds with stupid F-150s and running boards or nerf bars because otherwise they wouldnt be able to climb into the truck (when the obviously don't use the truck at all and just want it for the image).

Just a little bit of a sore spot for me.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:

I've just seen too many 60-75 year olds with stupid F-150s and running boards or nerf bars because otherwise they wouldnt be able to climb into the truck (when the obviously don't use the truck at all and just want it for the image).

It has nothing to do with age. My faince and our kids have a little trouble getting in the truck without some sort of step. Especially if she is wearing a skirt.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
im a big fan of the nerf bars vs running boards
Old 12-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, I forgot to mention that I removed my running boards in favor of some rock sliders.

Try to remember that not everyone uses their trucks for rock crawling.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
Neither, just don't like them at all. Just "MY" opinion. It's "your" truck though, so you do what you like...
Old 12-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #11

yeah i think i'm going to remove them.

should i take the mud flaps off as well?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #13

i took both sets off. time to do the nerf bars
Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
im 45,old people actually take them off cause they can't get their walker close enough to the truck
Old 12-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Just messin with ya!!

I think when people get their first pickup truck - they rush to their local accessories place and load up on the typical mods. Nothing wrong with that. It's human nature to *personalize* your truck & cars.

When I'm 75 years old, I'll consider it damn good If I can still climb up into an F150 sized truck even with the help of nerf bars. My mother-in-law who's 75 & 5' tall frail & skinny little body has trouble getting into my truck - she can't get in it by herself.

I would tend to believe - when you get that age, you desperately try to hold onto your youth by forcing yourself to climb into big trucks because YOU STILL CAN.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #17
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'll be 47 in a few weeks. So when I'm "really" old and can't walk or drive my truck, I'll have a highly modded, 2 stroke engine on my wheel chair. When that day comes, I'll finaly eat my Taco.......
Old 12-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #18
Diverse-Customs.com
Yodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shedYodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shedYodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shedYodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shedYodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shedYodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shedYodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shedYodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shedYodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shedYodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shedYodaforce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
Yodaforce's Tacoma Gallery
Rock sliders are cool (because they are functional as real protection) and anything else is corny.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #19
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
if you wheel, get sliders. if you dont, get nerfs.

might wanna check out the price on sliders vs nerfs though. some sliders can be had for relatively cheap (sub $250.)
Old 12-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #20

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Get whatever suits your purposes the best.