Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Seafoam

Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #121
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
Seafoam'd the vacuum hose today. Measured out 1/3 of the can (157ml) and poured it slowly into the vacuum hose with a friend revving the engine to 2000rpm.

By the time I looked up from pouring the smoke was gone, buddy said the smoke started shortly after I started pouring and ended when I was done. Then I let it sit for 10 minutes then took it for a hard rip down the backroads. No smoke after the initial puff.

Gonna put in another 1/3 into the oil right before next oil change (100 miles from now), and dump the rest in the tank.

Tough to tell if it running smoother because I did deckplate yesterday and my shift patterns all were reset with the computer, so it was shifting late. Overall acceleration feels tighter.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #122
&erson will become famous soon enough&erson will become famous soon enough
&erson's Tacoma Gallery
I've used seafoam on an annual basis on my 1998 yamaha 175 outboard.
No negatives except the neighbors ducking for cover once it fires up.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #123
98Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: adam
98Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i thought you could put in throught the vaccum of the pcv valve also and it would go to all the cylinders also
Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #124
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Bought the Seafoam today going to give it a shot later this week!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #125
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Tacoma View Post
i thought you could put in throught the vaccum of the pcv valve also and it would go to all the cylinders also
if it works, where is the vaccum line to the pvc valve? i have done this though the break booster and my EGR valve is still throwing a CEL for being "stuck open" so im looking for another way to clean it
Old 03-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #126
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinclm View Post
if it works, where is the vaccum line to the pvc valve? i have done this though the break booster and my EGR valve is still throwing a CEL for being "stuck open" so im looking for another way to clean it
you may actually be better off pulling the egr off and cleaning all the carbon off where the needle valve comes thru. that way....it'll open and close properly.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #127
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Seafoam=Hardly any smoke

Did the seafoam thing this afternoon. I was all ready to smoke up the neighborhood. Had my video camera out and everything.

I have to say I was disappointed. Hardly any smoke at all.
Maybe this was a good thing or maybe I did something wrong.

The only thing I could think of is that my vehicle was still warm from the drive home when I put the seafoam in.
Would this have made a difference?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #128
Myles is on a distinguished road
Name: Myles
Myles's Tacoma Gallery
Just seafoam'd the truck this afternoon. I added a 1/3 to the brake booster vacuum line and the rest in the gas tank. The smoke show was impressive to say the least. While adding there was some white smoke. Then after letting it sit for about 20 minutes I took it for an aggressive yet legal drive and COVERED about a half mile in white smoke. I was cracking up the whole time. Eventually it calmed down and the smoke was a white/blueish then to nothing. Truck seems to run fine. Don't really know if I can tell a difference since I've only owned the truck a day. Unfortunately I'm still hearing this raspy noise that's kinda getting to me.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #129
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
the smoke show is worth the 9 bucks... hahaha
Old 03-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #130
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, i want to do this. But the idea freaks me out! Have 72k on my 2006 v6 tacoma and would like to get new plugs and do some seafoam. I would do it if i was 100% sure this would not cause any cat issues or sensor issue.. hmmmmm
Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #131
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RadiantRed View Post
Damn, i want to do this. But the idea freaks me out! Have 72k on my 2006 v6 tacoma and would like to get new plugs and do some seafoam. I would do it if i was 100% sure this would not cause any cat issues or sensor issue.. hmmmmm
you'll be fine....just go slowly with it.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #132
Tennessee01Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Jerry
Tennessee01Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have used seafoam for about 5 years now I have 227k miles on my tacoma and just recently used seafoam on it for the second time. I used the other half of the can on my girlfriends car. I made sure she was watching and man did she FREAK OUT! It smoked so bad in her stratus with 230k miles.

I usually combine seafoam treatment with a can of throttle body cleaner afterwards it is tricky but you can keep your truck running without the intake tube on but you have to have someone start the truck for you. My next project is to take off the egr valve and tube and clean it I have an egr insufficient flow code.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #134
kspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud of

kspann's Tacoma Gallery
I did this on a 1995 Supra with 295k miles and that was INSANE!!! . Cheech and Chong style. Very smooth idle afterwards. Did it about 3 months ago on my 350z with 113k miles and there was very little smoke. The difference was I only left it sitting for 5 minutes after sucking up 1/3 of the Seafoam bottle. Might have been the cause. I had left the Supra sitting for about 30 minutes.

Just bought my Tacoma tonight with a few miles on it and will be doing the Seafoam treatment tomorrow. I will see if I can get a video of the process for those that are a bit nervous. Very easy.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #135
Matt
loki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to beholdloki32687 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Matt
loki32687's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to loki32687
My truck didn't smoke at all when I sea foamed it earlier. Though it did make my clean oil black
Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #136
mc4nam is on a distinguished road

mc4nam's Tacoma Gallery
Seafoamed 3 months ago through pcv with a small smoke show. Seafoamed today through brake booster with a huge smoke show! I guess brake booster gets to more places?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #137
SARTacoma is on a distinguished road

EMS: Search and Rescue
SARTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just got done seafoaming the Tacoma.... WOW what a show!
Put 1/3 in the vacuum line just at idle... she slowed down a bit but as long as I went slow, it wasn't bad. It was the Tacoma's first time so naturally I had to go slow

Poured 1/3 in the crank and the other 1/3 in the tank.

Let it set for about 15 mins, opened an adult malted frosty beverage and sat in the cockpit with it running at 3k rpm. Smoke for 3 mins (huge amounts!) and then it slowly dissipated.

I can't say if it's actually running smoother now as I don't have $50k dyno in my garage but it'd not running any worse (for those of you doubters) either.

Oil change this weekend. I'm kinda hoping this cleans out my upstream O2 sensor but if it doesn't... new Upstream, "free-flow" cat and downstream emulator next week >
Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #138
kspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud ofkspann has much to be proud of

kspann's Tacoma Gallery
Advance Auto Parts having a sale this week. Save 2 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Seafoam-uploadfromtaptalk1302542344947.jpg  
Old 04-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #139
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm... did mine through the PCV valve hose on the 5vz-fe... had epic amounts of smoke with taco at 100k miles, but i did more like 2/3 can and sat for 15.

Going to try the brake booster hose tonight as i have a few cans laying around.

I have an oil change planned for this week and new plugs/t-belt 'all that stuff' this weekend. Going to drop 1/3 into crank case too.

Word of 'warning' don't just stick the back end of your truck out of your garage and not expect the wind to change directions and blow all the smoke back in at you!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #140
s1deout is on a distinguished road
s1deout's Tacoma Gallery
Seafoam virgin here.

I applied 1/3 can (lucky me AAP had a sale for 6.99/can) to my 96 tacoma, 06 civic and the wife's 05 element all through the brake booster hose. Surprisingly the taco smoked the least, but it also only has 56K miles. My civic has always idled nice and quiet but the element is purring now and the wife is a believer as am I.

The element is the only vehicle to stall out while applying and coincidentally or not the seafoam seemed to benefit it the most.