Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

285's or 265's???

Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
staplak is on a distinguished road
staplak's Tacoma Gallery
285's or 265's???

I have just got my bilstein 5100's in today and 1.5" shackles for the back. I am debating putting on 265/75/16's or 285's on stock rims. I know that the 285's will have a little rubbing but they sure do look better from the pics i have seen. I have heard a lot of people say that you need new uca's or spacers. UCA's are a little out of my price range. I am just looking for some advice and opinions. Also if anyone has pics of trucks with the 265's and 285's with 2.5" lift please send them my way.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Well you could run a 285, but yes it will rub and you will probably need wheel spacers If you dont get new wheels. But it will def. look way better then the 265's.

I say go for the 285's! and do some trimming and then see if your ganna need spacers or not.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
you dont need UCAs

but at stock backspacing, aggressive 285-75 sidewalls may end up rubbin up against the stock UCA...

to clear the UCA and the frame at full lock, you may want to stick to 4" backspace wheels or get 1/2" wheel spacers on the stock wheels...

before i went LT, i ran 285-75s on 3" coilover lift...

Old 12-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
staplak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
Well you could run a 285, but yes it will rub and you will probably need wheel spacers If you dont get new wheels. But it will def. look way better then the 265's.

I say go for the 285's! and do some trimming and then see if your ganna need spacers or not.
Thank you. I like your rims. What are they? What size?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
staplak's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody else with pics?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
285/70/17

more pics in my gallery

Also, like some have said, you will prob need wheel spacers with 285s and stock rims. IMO, I would get aftermarket rims with proper backspacing. If it's out of your budget, stick to 265s, less headache(s) on stock rims.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by staplak View Post
Thank you. I like your rims. What are they? What size?
Thanks! there the Ulta 164's that Lesschwab carries. There 16x8 with a 4.25" Backspacing.
I liked them too when I first got them, But when I get new tires I will be getting new wheels, most likely black.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
Thanks! there the Ulta 164's that Lesschwab carries. There 16x8 with a 4.25" Backspacing.
I liked them too when I first got them, But when I get new tires I will be getting new wheels, most likely black.
You should be in business then. If you get the new wheels then go for the 285s. I have 265s on 3'' of lift and I think it looks funky. Cant wait to get my 285s later this month!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
staplak's Tacoma Gallery
anymore pics?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: truck driver 1404
Name: chris
toyotadude5's Tacoma Gallery
ya im running 285-70-17 on stock rims with my 3 inch lift, There is no rubbing except at full turn, then they hit the uca. My wheel spacers got here today to fix that tho.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: truck driver 1404
Name: chris
toyotadude5's Tacoma Gallery
the pics didnt work. here they are.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my '01 double cab on 285's. It's lifted 3" and the tires only rub on the frame near full lock. They will hit the UCA when the suspension tops out, but my buddies over at Spidertrax sent me some stuff today to take care of that.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #14
staplak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
Here's my '01 double cab on 285's. It's lifted 3" and the tires only rub on the frame near full lock. They will hit the UCA when the suspension tops out, but my buddies over at Spidertrax sent me some stuff today to take care of that.

Ok. I think i made my decision seeing your truck. That is sharp!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #15
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
They are dirty and these are 17" rims but you get the idea. Front is stock height and back is a 3" tough country AAL. The rims are from a chevy and I have no rub on the UCA's but I rub on the frame at full turn and I rub around the pinch weld when I hit bumps or go around a turn too fast.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #16
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
I like the 285's because of the tire width. Gives nice traction. I went from 245's to 285's so was a big jump for me. And by the way although my 285's are mounted on 17" rims the aspect ratio (belive thats what its called) is only 70 so 285/75R16 are the same size as mine
Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 AM   #17
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplak View Post
Ok. I think i made my decision seeing your truck. That is sharp!
Thanks buddy! I'm putting the Spidertrax spacers on today, and hopefully that will cure my tire rubbing.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:03 AM   #18
staplak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks buddy! I'm putting the Spidertrax spacers on today, and hopefully that will cure my tire rubbing.
If I order the spidertrax,(this may be a stupid question) do i need only two for the front or 4 for all 4 corners? And how is your gas mileage?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #19
Low Speed, High Drag

I'm only putting the spacers in the front. I have zero issues with the rear, so until I can afford a set of new wheels, only the front will get widened.

As faras mileage goes, I was averaging about 17-19 with the 265's. I'm still on my first tank with the big tires, so I can't tell which way I'm gonna go as far as MPG.

I mostly drive freeway, so if anything my mileage might go up a little, since I've knocked my gear ratio down a little bit.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
staplak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm only putting the spacers in the front. I have zero issues with the rear, so until I can afford a set of new wheels, only the front will get widened.

As faras mileage goes, I was averaging about 17-19 with the 265's. I'm still on my first tank with the big tires, so I can't tell which way I'm gonna go as far as MPG.

I mostly drive freeway, so if anything my mileage might go up a little, since I've knocked my gear ratio down a little bit.
Thanks for your help. If u dont mind let me know how the new wheel spacers turn out. I am curious to know.