Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Recovery Points

Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
tacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: scott
tacoman101's Tacoma Gallery
Recovery Points

This winter I want to do some helpful recovering for other people that have gone off the road. I think its pretty cool yanking people out of ditches. I know were the recovery point is on the front of the vehicle (that little hook on the left side of the vehicle, under the bumper), but I don't know if there are any recovery points on the back. I have a stock rear bumper, without a tow ball. Are there any places to attach a tow strap back there? And what are some general tips to pulling people out? Thanks a bunch
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Before I got my class III hitch, I pulled my trailer with the ball in the bumper. There was nowhere to put the safety chains, so I got a length of chain and ran it between two holes in the back of the frame. I figured it was in the frame, so it was okay. You could probably attach a tow strap directly to those holes, or you could run the chain between to make it easier.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
BurritoJimmyFan is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
BurritoJimmyFan's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you could get a new rear bumper.........for the good of the community
Old 12-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

tacoman101,

"Neighborly" thing to do BUT be careful how you "Use & abuse" that truck....PLEASE ;do not put too much strain on that factory bumper,that "Ball hole" will bend some with too much strain(my 17 year old proved that trying to use a d-ring in it )

A small list of things to help;

1) put some weight over the rear wheels,even in 4wd ..you will spin the rear tires,regardless of front or rear pull . Plus New England winters always require sand or salt at some point...Rubbermaid "cubes" work well and with the cover on...no Frozen product
2) heavy duty recovery strap with loop ends...requires the use of D-rings BUT much safer and stronger
3) a shovel'''' believe it or not,it can "fix" a bad day quickly( plus help put out that "product" in that rear box )
4) Continue on that "mod list" by adding either;
A) a reciever hitch ( I just got one off CSL ) and ad a reciever shackle or purchase a "Custom bumper" like CBI-Offroad makes with the tow-point attachments "built" right in......
B) decide which way to go on your tool-box...with all of these "new goodies" bouncing around in the x-tra cab...it will not be long

S
Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
RustyYota is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
RustyYota's Tacoma Gallery
You prolly have one but if not get one of those stretching recovery straps they work like a rubber band to provide more pulling power. I bet with a good running start you could send a geo over the telephone wires. But seriously they work awsome. Northern tool has them pretty cheap.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't hook it to the bumper, there very cheap.
if you had the money i would get a reese hitch there well worth it
Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Ive always hooked up around the leafspring/ shackle. Probably not the best place but hey weve never broken one lol.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Or buy a tow hook and weld it to your frame in the back!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
30-06 will become famous soon enough
30-06's Tacoma Gallery
You may find some jate rings on ebay that will work.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
mx04taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
mx04taco's Tacoma Gallery
i would just get a trailer hitch, use a tow strap(not a chain), and just try to use good judgement on the amount of weight you will be pulling. are you planning on charging people for your "services"
Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 AM   #14
tacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: scott
tacoman101's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all for the great help. Im thinking I'm going to go with the replacement rear bumper idea. Would I be able to hook my strap right up to the rings in the back if i got something like this: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/bumpers/Bentup1.jpg
Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Scott,

I would price the CBI Offroad bumper,local NH Tacoma owner has one ( pix at TTORA), and Steve gave me a great price.
And also check out www.drcustomwerx.com....
He is local and Josh is "good people"....plus has Toyota experience....

I went with the "reciever " option for now BUT rear bumper is on the "Wish list"

S