Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Interchangeable Parts

Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
RustyYota is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
RustyYota's Tacoma Gallery
Interchangeable Parts

If anyone remembers im the guy with the frame rot issue. I go in monday to hopefully fail my inspection. The local dealer there has a 2001 v6 5spd sr5 ext cab taco with 38,000 miles and it apparently just got a new frame (mechanic spent 30 hours to do it). It will be almost a straight trade. Anyways Im stripping parts off my 2000 ext cab sr5 and Im wondering what will fit the new one. I have the following: Lund bug guards, Lund ventshades, 2.5 rough country lift (coil-over spacers, extended shackles), Westin bull bar thing (the older one), and a trailer light relay that plugs into the tail-lights (are the plugs the same?), and a custom made speaker box that I soldered the original speaker plugs to my wires (are the speaker plugs the same?)
Thanks I appreciate any input
Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyYota View Post
If anyone remembers im the guy with the frame rot issue.
You mean you're one of many guys.

The two trucks are of the same generation, but different sub-generations (yours is a 1998-2000, while the trade-in's a 2001-2004).

They're slightly different, mostly in the front, so as far as front bug guard, no, because the hoods are different. Bull bar is also questionable as the bumpers are different, but if the frames are the same, maybe it's possible.

I know they changed shackles in 1997-1998, so you should be good there, and also coil spacer lift is pretty simple to not be universal for the most part.

Speakers are also pretty hard to mess up, as there's only 2 wires per speaker, and it kind of doesn't matter which way you plug them in, anyways.

Don't know about the trailer wiring, but I don't see why Toyota would change them...they did put different taillights in...but not THAT different.

You should be good. Just take EVERYTHING that you can off of it, and if it doesn't fit, SELL IT!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Sam covered your question pretty well. You may encounter minor differences in electrical connections, or maybe not. I only say this because I found differences in simple plugs and such across the 90-95 4runners. The wiring will be pretty much the same, but there may be differences in wire colors, plug colors, and (in my case) plugs looked very similar for certain components, but were not interchangeable. I found these differnces in 4 runners that were 1 year apart from each other.

I'm not saying this will be the case, but it might.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a WAAG grill guard off of someone who's 2000 was bought back. The part was listed as 95-2000 (from manufacturer) It mounts oup fine theres just no clearence against the grille. The top support brackets will probably not work. (because the mount to the bumper support, which is different) You can fab your own, get ones for a 2001, or leave them off like me.

I would check the part number on WEstin's website first. I remember that there was one manufacturer that had the same part for both years.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars0n` View Post
speakers will work backwards if the wires are crossed. ex: a bass hit makes the speaker move out, if wires are crossed the speaker will move inwards.
yup. Won't make a difference, unless you're running multiple subs inside one box.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
RustyYota is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
RustyYota's Tacoma Gallery
I also have a tenau cover and toolbox are the box dimensions about the same? All the things I mentioned earlier are already off I'm just curious
Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
they should work fine
Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
tool box yes, tonneau not sure. I believe the beds were slightly different dimensions. since the tanneau cover relies on it fit to work you might not be able to use it
Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
i have a lund tri fold cover on my 04 that i bought on craigslist. it was on a 97 so it should work
Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars0n` View Post
speakers will work backwards if the wires are crossed. ex: a bass hit makes the speaker move out, if wires are crossed the speaker will move inwards.
It won't play the song backwards?
Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #12

sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
It won't play the song backwards?
Only The Stairway to Heaven.