1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission cooler and elcetric fan???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by evil_gandhi, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    evil_gandhi

evil_gandhi [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's all the way around, fronts @2.5" (highest) setting. Rear leaf springs from a '91 pickup (1.5" lift). Firestone airbag spring helpers. Doug Thorley ceramic coated Tri-Y header. K&N air filter. Tubular steel front bumper.Much more planned!!!
    Has anybody installed a transmission cooler on a 1st gen 4x4??? Any recomendations? anybody have experience with electric fans?

From what I have read the a340e seems to be a good auto tranny, but while pulling a trailer throught the Sierras it did puke a little fluid when I stopped and turned the truck off.

Also I could smell some burnt fluid the last time I went hunting (4lo all day + same fluid as when puking in the Sierras) but I have since change the fluid, filter and I added Lucas Oils tranny additive.

I am thinking that a quality trans cooler and an electric fan will help prevent this in the future.

Any advice or shared experiences would be appreciated.

2. Dec 13, 2009 at 11:19 PM
    zidaro

zidaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    mammoth lakes, ca
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    87runner with some mods, 08 V8runner ready to rock
    really easy to mount a trans cooler on the front of you rad. and use passive crossflow to cool. I have elec. rad. fan, no exp. with oil fans. Im sure they help at slow speeds.
    Sorry if that was little help. I think you are on the right track if tranny is puking under loads.

3. Dec 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    As zidaro mentioned, adding a transmission cooler is pretty straightforward. Hayden coolers have a good reputation (they sourced the OEM coolers Toyota used with the pre-2005 factory towing package).

4. Dec 14, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    evil_gandhi

evil_gandhi [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's all the way around, fronts @2.5" (highest) setting. Rear leaf springs from a '91 pickup (1.5" lift). Firestone airbag spring helpers. Doug Thorley ceramic coated Tri-Y header. K&N air filter. Tubular steel front bumper.Much more planned!!!
    Thanks for the info guys. I will post pics when I complete the project

Products Discussed in

To Top