Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

They took my 'yota

Old 12-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
RustyYota is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
RustyYota's Tacoma Gallery
They took my 'yota

Its a sad day. I took the old 2000 taco in for the frame rot inspection and it took the mechanic 15 minutes to deem my tacoma unsafe and condemn her to death. She had her last hoorah Friday hauling a full cord of green firewood, and sunday when she got some serious/scary air while offroading. I left the rough country lift on it, because it is just way too cold, i didnt have the time, and it only cost like a couple hundred. I dont know if anyone knows this but after you accept toyotas deal apparently you can strip any non mechanical parts you want from it, tires, battery, etc. Anywho while waiting for the toyota check I am enjoying feeling like a tool in the 2010 yaris rental they gave me. So RIP old girl. P.S. the next one will either be the 2.7 5 spd. or hopefully the incresingly rare 6cyl 5 spd. Ill keep everyone posted on the size of the check when I get it.
Dave
Old 12-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future

4low2go's Tacoma Gallery
Are you getting another?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear of your loss. Wish you the best.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4low2go View Post
Are you getting another?

P.S. the next one will either be the 2.7 5 spd. or hopefully the incresingly rare 6cyl 5 spd.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
BG04Taco is a jewel in the roughBG04Taco is a jewel in the roughBG04Taco is a jewel in the roughBG04Taco is a jewel in the rough

BG04Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have pics of your truck to post?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
ill never let them take mine
ill do a frame swap myself before i let them take it
Old 12-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
as much as I dont want to say it, but I kinda wish mine wasnt in as good as shape as it is..After 14 years, mine has decided to leak water onto the drivers side floor when it rains..I gotta track that down now..And theres something crazy going on with the passanger side tail light when it rains.When I step on the brakes, the passanger side blinker lights up and stays on untill I let off the brakes..Other then that, its in great shape.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future

4low2go's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBawlzTaco View Post
P.S. the next one will either be the 2.7 5 spd. or hopefully the incresingly rare 6cyl 5 spd.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
Thats what I was thinking...now I'm planning to get an 01-04 V6 5spd TRD before mine is recalled and swapping over EVERYTHING (including brakes, front grille, hood, doors) that I've done to her. That way, hopefully I'll have a 01-04 with the old-style grille and an e-locker. I am fully prepared to pay for the new taco.

But I feel for you on the recall, man. Hope you find a new taco.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
Thats what I was thinking...now I'm planning to get an 01-04 V6 5spd TRD before mine is recalled and swapping over EVERYTHING (including brakes, front grille, hood, doors) that I've done to her. That way, hopefully I'll have a 01-04 with the old-style grille and an e-locker. I am fully prepared to pay for the new taco.

But I feel for you on the recall, man. Hope you find a new taco.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Hello new Taco?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
RustyYota is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
RustyYota's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses, You bet Im buying a new yota. The old girl only had 127,000 miles on the ticker and not a spot of rust on the body. Im getting something in the 2001-2004 range but Im not making the mistake of the automatic again though (nothing wrong with it, just boring). So yes Hello new Taco. Hopefully the old one gets a machine gun mounted on it and sold to rebels instead of the crusher, its a damn fine truck
Ive got one pic of the truck on this site I don't have my camera with me
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...frame-rot.html
Old 12-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
Third Coast
texasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud oftexasbowhunter has much to be proud of

texasbowhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyYota View Post
Thanks for the responses, You bet Im buying a new yota. The old girl only had 127,000 miles on the ticker and not a spot of rust on the body. Im getting something in the 2001-2004 range but Im not making the mistake of the automatic again though (nothing wrong with it, just boring). So yes Hello new Taco. Hopefully the old one gets a machine gun mounted on it and sold to rebels instead of the crusher, its a damn fine truck
Ive got one pic of the truck on this site I don't have my camera with me
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...frame-rot.html
Nice, stick with the 1st Gen.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've almost been thinking the same thing. I'd sooner ...god forbid... neglect my frame and have it get replaced within the 15 years than take care of it and clean it only to have it rot out 17 years down the line and be screwed.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
WHO DAT!
AverageJoe is on a distinguished road

Name: Joey
AverageJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear they took her from you. Think of it this way, you're going to get a better truck out of it, and you can do the exact same things you did to your old one. Hell, get the same color if it makes you feel better
Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 AM   #18
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman101 View Post
I kinda want mine to rot, so I can get a new frame

At 1st, I was hoping buy-back but then I'd have to spend major replacement money.

With a new frame, I'll get new springs, brake lines, hardware, control arms, etc., etc. It'll be like Christmas when the parts come in and we go through everything.

While apart, I'll make sure I get new shocks and struts, do a clutch job (easier for the mechanic and recommended for labor saving.)

They said all connections from the new frame to transplanted parts will have new connections.

Fresh antifreeze and brake fluid.

The truck is paid for so no need of a truck payment.
The MPG is better on a 2001 than the 2010.

I just bought 4 new tires the day after Thanksgiving!
I have a color-matching fiberglass topper. No need to buy an expensive new one.

2001 payload is 1,900 lbs. (steel box.)
2010 payload is 1,396 lbs. (plastic composite box.)
I'd lose 505 lbs. carrying capability.

Toyota is treating me good.
My salesman said a good Tacoma is hard to find. It should make mine worth more in the future.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #20
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
Rotting will depend on where you live.
I live in Iowa and our area is generous with salt and other road-clearing chemicals.

The previous owner lived in NH and they use plenty of salt.
When I looked at the frame when it was on the lot (2007), I thought it was a "bit" rusty but never expected a rotting frame.

The reason I bought the 2001 was my Toyota mechanic said "Gary, you should really get a different truck as your 1992 Toyota is very rusty."

Who knew I'd just be back in the same boat a few years later?

Can't wait for the new parts to arrive. My mechanic is looking forward to it also as it'll be a new project from the everyday stuff.

I guess Vermont uses salt so if you wait a few years, it'll fail also. Something to look forward to!
Good luck.