1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

maintenance conundrum...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MTgirl, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Dec 17, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl [OP] too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    just looking for some advise on what (if any) work my truck could need. my dilemma is this: truck is 10 years old yet only has 39000 miles on it. i dont think the previous owner did much more than change the oil but it is still in excellent shape. i had the tranny flushed at 30000 and i keep an eye on fluids, belts, filters, and checked the spark plugs and brakes a few months ago. everything seems to be fine - all factory installed but in good shape.

so should i worry more about the age of the parts and not the miles/wear on them? any problem areas i should check out? i cant seem to get a clear answer from the people ive talked to so any feedback you all have is appreciated!

2. Dec 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    mreimann

mreimann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 double cab Limited
    Icon C/O, Fox 2.0, All Pro Expo 2.0 leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, Airflow snorkel, Custom Built Bed Rack, Pelfrey aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, All Pro aluminum rear bumper, SmittyBuilt winch. RTT
    frame rust is one to check out

3. Dec 17, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    I would say what you have done so far and what you are doing now should suffice. These trucks are well known for their dependability, so as long as you keep regular checks and maintenence you should be fine. I also have a '99, although mine has just rolled over 135K, it still has factory everything, except tires. Just keep on keeping on and enjoy your Tacoma.

f.y.i. One thing you should keep an eye on is the leaf packs, this was one downside of these trucks. They have issues with the leafs getting weak over the years and they start to sag. The worse that could happen if not caught in time is that they could break and cause you to wreck. So I would inspect the leaf springs and see what kind of shape they are in.

4. Dec 17, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    BLKTRD6SP

BLKTRD6SP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Crane Lake Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 Black TRD 6 Speed
    2 way remote start,3M rockguard
    Wow low mileage. Maybe check that the hoses are in good shape, and change the oil in the differentials if it hasn't been done.

5. Dec 17, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    saltbranch

saltbranch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    1996 2.4,2wd,5spd, stock, 250k
    Being from MT., I'd check the condition of the antifreeze 1st. belts, hoses etc, 2nd. Personally I would go ahead a service the diffs and tranny too.

6. Dec 18, 2009 at 5:55 AM
    Air_Ops

Air_Ops Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    N.W. VT
    Vehicle:
    01 Ltd Dbl Cab
    TRD Headers, Cat Back Exhaust, Airaid Intake Tube, LC Engineering Throttle Body Gasket, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf, LC Engineering Tundra Brake Kit, Re-Framed
    Based on the age, if you or the previous owner have not replaced the battery it would be on top of my list. The cold weather will sap the strength of a marginal battery. If the battery load tests okay, then I would do the fluids including the brake fluid.

7. Dec 18, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    X2 on brake fluid. Even if its at the right level, old brake fluid traps water and if there's too much water in it you won't have full power for stops. It should be a mostly clear color, if it's amber or ice tea colored it's old and should be changed.

8. Dec 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I would say, change out any and all fluids (that you havn't done already). Visually inspect hoses and other rubber components that can dry and deteriorate over time. Have the frame checked for rust perforation (free at dealer if not already done). Other than those things, you can probably just address issues as they arise, IF they arise. Also, have a dealer run the VIN# to make sure there aren't any open recalls.

9. Dec 18, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    thanks for the input.

rust really isnt a problem here but i have checked things out and the frame is in excellent shape, little muddy but good.
    the battery is a few years old but still strong, cranked right over after sitting out overnight in -20F last week.
    havent looked at the hoses yet, that will be the first project
    i know i checked the antifreeze when i first got it but as far as i know it has ever been drained. same goes for brake fluid. might put that on the to do list too.

just looking for stuff for dad and i to work on over the upcoming holiday weekend. he's bored and loves to tear things apart.

10. Dec 18, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    cole47

cole47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Hickory NC
    Vehicle:
    Ray of Sunshine
    lift, wheels, tires
    99 with that kind of miles....thats awesome, do the deck plate mod....if you wanna do a cheap DIY

11. Jan 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    LOL...30K/24 month service...what no 30K/132 month?
    Happy to report that everything under the hood looked okay. One of the hoses did have a bit of gunk on it - looked like a hard water build up?!?! - but otherwise all is well with my Toy. I don't think I have anything to worry about.

I do think I will be looking into working on the suspension this year. That's definitely seen better days and I'm tired of getting shaken within an inch of my life when I'm on a washboarded/dirt road.

Products Discussed in

To Top