Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1999 Tacoma Purchase Questions

Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Cecil will become famous soon enoughCecil will become famous soon enough
Cecil's Tacoma Gallery
1999 Tacoma Purchase Questions

Sorry guys for the newbie question. I happened to be plowing a neighbors driveway this weekend and she mentioned that they were selling a 1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 with 66k miles for $5k. My eyes got big as I thought this was a good price. I didn't really look to closely at it since it was in their garage. Not sure if it has the TRD package or what options it has. First, I assume this is a good deal. Second, any buying advice on what to look for and what are the best features to have. It does have a big tool box in it which I'm not that fond of and wanted to know if I could fit a 2004 Suzuki Eiger ATV in the bed with/without the tool box? Any help is appreciated as I feel this is a deal I might not pass up. tks
Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
hey man, welcome to TW. sounds like a good deal, u may want to check the frame out on it for frame rot. get a test drive with it before u make up ur mind. i dont think an atv will fit with the tool box.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, it sounds a little too good to be true.

Really check for anything seriously wrong with it, because for that price they'd have to be pretty stupid, or like you a lot.

Because at that price and that mileage, that's even a damn good deal for a 2wd.

Things I wish I had checked on my Taco before buying it for 8k:
-CV boots/axles, both mine were ripped.
-Exhaust Manifold, mine was MAJORLY cracked
-Windshield cracks, one was hiding in the corner and it spread over the cold weather and not safelite can't fix it ($270 to replace)
-Rust, our trucks are notorious for this, even though it makes for some profit down the road of toyota will buy it back

Other than that, check basic stuff like fluid levels, leaks, u joints, shake the driveline, test out the 4x4 (don't turn the steering wheel on pavement, though), maybe even check the plugs, any service receipts, etc.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome to Tacomaworld!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
I have a tool box its a UWS low profile box and I fit my yamaha big bare 400 with about 3-4in with the tailgate down.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
BG04Taco has a spectacular aura aboutBG04Taco has a spectacular aura aboutBG04Taco has a spectacular aura about

BG04Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Buy it like he said. If you regret it later you can always sell it for way more than what you paid. If the frame is bad toyota will write you a check. One guy here had over 100k on his the dealer condemned it and toyota gave him 10k to crush it.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
By the way sounds like a good deal. I paid $8,500 for my 2000 with 53k on it so it sounds like a very good deal. But like everyone said look over it real good check the tires, frame, fluids, ect... Ask for service or maintenance records if they have any. And take a good test drive!!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Cecil's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the quick replies. Yea, it is a good deal but it is an unfortunate situation. Their 53 y/o son passed away on Thanksgiving Day and it was his truck. I rarely saw it driven even when the son lived with them for over a year recently. THey said they had someone look up the value and told them it was worth over $6k but they just want to get rid of it so they would take $5k for it. Only down side is it is the purple color. Not my first choice but if it does check out pretty hard to pass up. If it has the TRD package I am going to buy it without a doubt.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sachou's Tacoma Gallery
TRD PACKAGE! FOR 5K! WITH 66K MILES!

Most TRD's like that go for around 9 grand. If you can find them.

Dude, I'd even give them more for their loss...
Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a steal...even if it did need a little work you wont regret getting a truck for that price. and finding a taco with low miles is rare, thats why i grabbed mine as quickly as i could.
go for it!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
Cecil's Tacoma Gallery
Update. Went up to my neighbors to look more closely at the '99 Tacoma. To my surprise it has the TRD package. It is the SR5 model 4x4. Has power windows and locks and is the extended cab. Has a silver Leonard tool box on it. Tachometer and 68k miles. Excellent tires. No oil leaks. Frame rails are still black without any signs or rust. Underside is spotless with no signs of oil leaks or any leaks. Coolant is red and good shape.

It is a 5 speed and having owned other sticks is the Toyota clutch point very low to the ground. At first i could not start it and thought the battery was dead. Only after pushing the clutch further did it start. Maybe this is normal but it shifted fine throughout the gears.

So, I assume that since this is a TRD $5k is a no-brainer?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
You have to floor the clutch pedal to get a start, but the sweet spot is about half way.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #12

sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
Where do you live? If you don't want it, I'll take it.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
Update. Went up to my neighbors to look more closely at the '99 Tacoma. To my surprise it has the TRD package. It is the SR5 model 4x4. Has power windows and locks and is the extended cab. Has a silver Leonard tool box on it. Tachometer and 68k miles. Excellent tires. No oil leaks. Frame rails are still black without any signs or rust. Underside is spotless with no signs of oil leaks or any leaks. Coolant is red and good shape.

It is a 5 speed and having owned other sticks is the Toyota clutch point very low to the ground. At first i could not start it and thought the battery was dead. Only after pushing the clutch further did it start. Maybe this is normal but it shifted fine throughout the gears.

Definitely a no-brainer. Sir, you have found the Holy Grail.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
Cecil's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to mention that it is not the V6. Now, that would be the Holy Grail. How is the 4 cylinder in these. I have not owned anything 4 cylinder since the company car days of 15 years ago. I assume it is the 2.7 and not the 2.4 but how do you verify. Also, besides the listed options I noticed any others that are typical on this vintage model that I should look for. Does anyone have access to Carfax or other ways to get information about the truck. I really don't want to ask them a lot of questions since I know they just want it out of their garage. I assume installing a Class III hitch is pretty easy on these as well. I don't think my Suzuki Eiger ATV will fit with the tool box so still need to tow it on my trailer Thanks.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
If it is a 4x4 or Prerunner it has the 2.7 which is a great engine. You can haul your atv in the back with the tool box if you leave the tail gate down and just use some ratchet straps to secure it..... The 2.7 has less maintenance than the v6 because it has a timing chain not belt, its a pretty bullit proof motor and has some power for a 4 cyl.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #16

sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, so it doesn't have the full TRD package. So you're basically buying my truck. Check to the left of the steering wheel for a button that says RR Diff Lock. It probably won't, but is still a good deal regardless.

I like my 4 banger, but would rather have a v6 if I ever towed anything or had anything in the bed for long distances.

It does what it needs to do - make the truck go. Plus it's durable as hell.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
Cecil's Tacoma Gallery
It has 2 buttons to the left of the steering wheel. The closest to the driver door said something about clutch lock out and the one closer to steering wheel was the diff lock button. The side of the truck in the rear says TRD off road. I know what the rear diff lock is but what is a clutch lock out? Is there a watered down TRD package?
Old 12-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
The clutch cancel button is for starting without pressing in the clutch....
Old 12-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
That is a bangin' deal for 5 grand! DO IT NOW!!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
BG04Taco has a spectacular aura aboutBG04Taco has a spectacular aura aboutBG04Taco has a spectacular aura about

BG04Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I would regret getting the 4cyl but now I wouldnt have it any other way. 4cyl 150 hsp 6cyl 180. I heard the toy 4cyl had more power than ford v6.