1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fog light wire location help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tmolina, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Dec 26, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    tmolina

tmolina [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma dbl cab Prerunner
    2 inch lift with SAW's on front, AAL on rear
    I just wired up fog lights to my son's 98 Prerunner using a lighted toggle switch and a relay. I used the ignition fuse power for the control signal to the relay. However I want to use the headlights low beam power signal(red/grn) wire as a control signal to the relay so the fogs can only be turned on when low beams are on and will turn off when high beams are turned on or when the lights are off. Can anyone tell me where I can find the red/grn wire inside the cab so I don't have to tap off of one of the headlights and run a wire all teh way from there to inside the cab? Either junction J/B 1 or J/C 1 on the schematics are inside the cab. Thanks ahead of time for the help.
    Thomas

2. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:21 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    It actually gets kinda foggy where I live at times. I have 3 foglights in front on a light bar... and there are times when I need just my fogs on without any headlights. This is due to the light reflection and the angles of the beams. Are you sure you want to do it your way? I don't understand why you'd want to limit yourself to only the low beams on if it's your choice. My switch has a red LED indicator on the dash, so I always know when it's on a don't forget it.

To answer your question... that red/gr wire runs from the steering column to to body ecu under jb1. It's all there under the front dash in front of the driver... you just gotta go digging for it.

3. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    tmolina

tmolina [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma dbl cab Prerunner
    2 inch lift with SAW's on front, AAL on rear
    Just wanted to make sure they won't come on when the high beams are on, not much fog here in AZ. Thanks for the location I will find the wire tomorrow. Maybe I will leave them with the ignition for now and see how it goes...

4. Dec 26, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Here's a schematic of a DRL that switches to a marker light. Not the same thing, but could give you some ideas. Use two relays and make the second relay a SPDT that turns off power if the lights go to High Beam (instead of linking it to low beam operation). Have it normally lined up to the normally closed contact (87a), then when it switches to high beams, leave 87 open ended so it cuts power.

(THIS SCHEMATIC NOT FOR A TACOMA... USED ON MY OTHER VEHICLE. JUST FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES.)

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top