1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PCV Valve Replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Beau02, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dec 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Is it recommended to replace the PCV valve as preventative maintenance? If so, after how many miles?

I saw it mentioned in a couple of posts when I searched. It came up a few times when addressing issues, but only a couple of times as a routine measure. So, I was curious what the general consensus was on replacement.

Kolter45 likes this.
  2. Dec 30, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Bump! Great question. I've wondered this too. :confused:

Kolter45 likes this.
  3. Dec 30, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    As cheap as they are I replace them every 30-50k. its a cheap part and it is a 2 minute job.

Scrat and Kolter45 like this.
  4. Dec 30, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yeppo! ^^^^^^

5. Dec 30, 2009 at 7:27 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Great, thanks! Any reason to worry about getting OEM, or is swinging by Autozone to pick one up okay? Also, I understand there is a grommet involved, would it be best to replace that as well?

6. Dec 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    what does it do, and why should it be replaced?

Kolter45 and GQ7227 like this.
  7. Dec 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i got one they had at autozone. no problems with it. if you can pull the pcv valve out,shake it and it doesnt rattle...it needs replacing.....but you can clean them with seafoam or b12 chemtool and reuse them.

Kolter45 likes this.
  8. Dec 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    pcv is for positive crankcase ventilation...and gets air to the crankcase to help in cooling.(i think anyway..always the way i understood it)

Kolter45 and Luv my yota like this.
  9. Dec 30, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    I've been looking into this myself this evening, and below is what I found regarding what it is (sounds complicated, but the valve itself is basically a check-valve, I think). When it comes to why should it be replaced, well, I suppose because it can get clogged by deposits?

-------------------------------------------------

"As an engine operates, high-pressure gases are contained within the combustion chamber and prevented from passing into the crankcase (containing the crankshaft and other parts) between the side of the piston and the cylinder bore by piston rings which seal against the cylinder. However, some amount of gas always leaks past the piston rings into the crankcase. This amount is very small in a new or properly rebuilt engine, provided that the piston rings and cylinder walls are correctly "broken in", and increases as the engine wears. Scratches on the cylinder walls or piston rings, such as those caused by foreign objects entering the engine, can cause large amounts of leakage. This leaked gas is known as blow-by because the pressure within the cylinders blows it by the piston rings. If this blow-by gas could not escape then pressure would build up within the crankcase.

The PCV valve is only one part of the PCV system, which is essentially a variable and calibrated air leak, whereby the engine returns its crankcase combustion gases. Instead of the gases being vented to the atmosphere, gases are fed back into the intake manifold, to re-enter the combustion chamber as part of a fresh charge of air and fuel. The PCV system is not a classical "vacuum leak". All the air collected by the air cleaner (and metered by the mass air flow sensor, on a fuel injected engine) goes through the intake manifold. The PCV system just diverts a small percentage of this air via the breather to the crankcase before allowing it to be drawn back in to the intake tract again. It is an "open system" in that fresh exterior air is continuously used to flush contaminants from the crankcase and into the combustion chamber.

The valve is simple, but actually performs a complicated control function. An internal restrictor (generally a cone or ball) is held in "normal" (engine off, zero vacuum) position with a light spring, exposing the full size of the PCV opening to the intake manifold. With the engine running, the tapered end of the cone is drawn towards the opening in the PCV valve, restricting the opening proportionate to the level of engine vacuum vs. spring tension. At idle, the intake manifold vacuum is near maximum. It is at this time the least amount of blow by is actually occurring, so the PCV valve provides the largest amount of (but not complete) restriction. As engine load increases, vacuum on the valve decreases proportionally and blow by increases proportionally. With a lower level of vacuum, the spring returns the cone to the "open" position to allow more air flow. At full throttle, there is nearly zero vacuum. At this point the PCV valve is nearly useless, and most combustion gases escape via the "breather tube" where they are then drawn in to the engine's intake manifold anyway."

Kolter45 likes this.
  10. Dec 30, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    So what happens if you dont replace it? I have never done the one on my truck, and Ive put about 70K on it, and not sure if it was ever done prior to that.

GQ7227 likes this.
  11. Dec 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    My truck has almost 138k on it and I know for certain it has never been replaced. Again, I'm still in the learning phase here, but I don't think it's a necessary replacement. Like many parts, you can just wait until (if) it fails. If it does fail, it will either stick closed (rare) and blow oil seals, or stick open and allow oil to enter the intake. From what I've gathered by the feedback above, since it's easy and cheap one might as well replace it regularly since a minor restriction can hinder performance, and an all-out failure can lead to bigger issues. Correct me if I'm wrong on this fellas...

12. Dec 30, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    definitely....with how cheap they are...i'd replace to prevent anything from happening.

13. Dec 30, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I guess I can get one tomorrow when I go back for my other belts..

14. Dec 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    since were on the issue. I actually replaced mine yesterday at 135,000. It still rattled, but from the looks of it, it gave me the heebie jeebies from all the crud that was caked on it. So I replaced it for a whopping $3.50.

Kolter45 and GQ7227 like this.
  15. Dec 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    I'm with you man - $3.50 is pretty cheap prevention of future heebie jeebies, or worse...

GQ7227 likes this.
  16. Dec 31, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Anyone change it out on the 05+ 4.0?? Was it a PITA?

17. Jan 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    so is it just a generic part then? just any PCV valve will work?

18. Jan 1, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    You'll need to get a specific one. The one I picked up for my truck works on many Toyotas, and the engine makes a difference too. I think the 4-cyl. and 6-cyl. Tacomas of similar year even use different valves.

There is also a rubber grommet that holds the valve in. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I picked up a new one of them too.

Kolter45 likes this.
  19. Oct 27, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    shady31396

shady31396 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    It's recommended to change the PCV every 30k miles or so, you can tell its bad if it rattles when you shake it or if you take the hose off and there is signs of oil then it needs to be changed. If your truck seems to be burning up oil, the PCV is most likely the problem. It's a super easy fix for dirt cheap.

20. Jun 21, 2016 at 7:52 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    might want to try the 2nd Gen section :)

Products Discussed in

To Top