LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is it possible to add oem keyless entry?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
04TRD4x4 is on a distinguished road
04TRD4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible to add oem keyless entry?

I just got an 04 limited 4x4 TRD, but somehow it didn't have keyless entry. I want to add the stock/OEM toyota keyless entry. I have talked to three dealers and they all say something different. I need help? any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
The first thing is to figure out what's up with your Taco. Keyless entry was included with the optional Limited Package. Does yours have it, but it's not working? Has yours been removed? Are you sure your Tacoma has the Limited Package ???? ...
Old 12-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
According to the Two local toyota dealers it is possible to have a limited without keyless entry. They looked it up by my vin#. So thats what they told me at least. I bought the truck from a jeep dealer that didn't know jack about toyota and I wasn't able to talk to the previous owner. Cause I was thinking maybe he just lost both keyless entry fobs. anyways the toyota dealer told me that there is a discontinued part from toyota that I would have been able to buy and install on any truck with power door locks if i wanted to add keyless entry. It is the same part that comes from the factory on cars/truck equipped with keyless entry. so i need to get this part out of a totally truck or someone that is parting out their tacoma. It is basically a small box, the sending and receiving unit for the key fob.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRD4x4 View Post
According to the Two local toyota dealers it is possible to have a limited without keyless entry. They looked it up by my vin#. So thats what they told me at least. ....
Unless they pulled up the build sheet or sales documentation on the VIN search (not likely ...) they wouldn't have been able to tell what options your Taco had.

The 2004 options / spec documentation lists no exceptions for the keyless remote system being included with the Limited Package (an option).

The dealership folks may have mistakenly thought of pre-2001 model years in which there was a 'Limited' model / grade overall. During the 2001 - 2004 period 'Limited' refers exclusively to an options package.

Pull your left kick panel and see if there's a TVIP ECU mounted there. If so - you have factory keyless entry, and the original fobs were probably lost somewhere along the way ...
Old 01-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
When I pulled the drivers side kick panel I see a small black box the says 4wheel drive computer, and then a little bigger dark grey box that says theft warning system. thats it though. does this mean it didn't have keyless entry.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
The box marked 'theft warning system' is in the right location. However, I don't know whether the factory Toyota TVIP ECU carried a label saying 'Theft Warning System'. I would have thought it would be labeled 'Toyota Vehicle Intrusion Protection' (TVIP).

*IF* the grey box is indeed a factory TVIP ECU it should have a grey + black wire coming off connection / pin '12'. This pin should be marked 'A' (for antenna). If you have the antenna, you should have the keyless entry function.

If the grey box is not the factory TVIP ECU, that would be a clue that perhaps the previous owner had an aftermarket alarm system installed. Aftermarket swap-out would explain why you don't have keyless entry function.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
the TVIP ECU has been found in various other locations too...such as under the drivers seat

i have mine sitting in my shed waiting on me to buy the wiring harness for it...i dont recall it saying Theft Warning System on it...but i believe it was marked with RS3200...and its black
Old 01-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
It doesn't have the antenna hook up. I think I need the other one also.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

additionally...it may be difficult to find the wiring harness and proper ecu...i dont think theyre available anymore
Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Yeah the dealer told me they aren'y available any more. what are your plans with yours?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

unknown right now as i have just the ECU and no harness

my plan was to put it in my truck but i never bought the harness

i may attempt to make a harness at some point
Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #12
I need to find one of those ECUs. do you think they are the same in a tundra or 4runner of the same generation? If so, that would raise my odds of finding one from a wrecking yard or someone parting out their truck.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:09 AM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

i have no idea

i would THINK they are the same ecu as Toyota is still using the RS3200+ but the wiring harness will be difficult i think
Old 01-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
Yeah, your right.