Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tools help?

Old 03-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #1
tacomaman96 is on a distinguished road
tacomaman96's Tacoma Gallery
tools help?

I have a factory service manual but don't wanna spend alot on tools I don't really need, what special tools will I need to replace brake pads, rotor, drum, wheel bearings, on a 96 2.7l
Old 03-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you really want to own the tools you might be able to borrow them from your local parts store. There are a few around here that just ask for a deposit for specialty tools you need to install parts you bought from them.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
That's a really tough question.... Get yourself some basic tools to start.

Do some research online and find out exactly what types & sizes you need for those jobs.

The job you are performing will need certain tools to loosen & tighten - but until you actually get in there and work on it, you don't know what types of surprises you'll run into. When I say surprises - I mean, bolts won't come loose, parts frozen together, rusted, etc. These special situations require more tools to get the job done.

For brakes - having a c-clamp (and a piece of wood) is something you might wanna buy. That's to compress the pistons to get the new pads in. I've never done wheel bearings - but those jobs are more complicated and more tools & more experience.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
tacomaman96 is on a distinguished road
tacomaman96's Tacoma Gallery
thanks

o.k. thanks guys I'll check around got a kragen and auto zone right down the street, maybe they'll let me borrow, kragen knows me by name cause I'm always in there. I do have a good mechanics tool set I'm just not gonna have the special service tools for all those little specific jobs