Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power Steering Pump

Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Power Steering Pump

I have started having a whining/grinding noise coming from under my hood for about the past week. It somewhat sounds like it does when you are low on power steering fluid how it whines louder the higher your rev it up.
My first thought is that the bearing in my power steering pump is going out. The truck has about 190k on it so that makes sense. There is no difference in the turning power it is still fine and still very smooth just making a noise.
So has anyone had this problem before? Can that bearing be replaced?
Any links or threads about this?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
Have you checked the noise with the truck parked and running?
You know.... stick your head under the hood to determine where the noise is coming from.
Get someone to help and turn the steering wheel while idling.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
mine whines, I'm thinking of getting the rebuild kit from partstrain.com

http://www.partstrain.com/store/?PN=...D(universal:0)
Old 01-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap enough to give it a try.
Good luck.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Idrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud of
Marines: 1341/1343/6222
Name: Ryan
Idrivetoys's Tacoma Gallery
i have a tiny leak and when it gets low on fluid it whines.