LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What year is 1st gen tacoma?

Old 01-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
hiraxmax is on a distinguished road
hiraxmax's Tacoma Gallery
Talking What year is 1st gen tacoma?

I am new here and was wondering what years are considered 1st and second generation? And (dare I ask) which are better?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen - '95.5-'04
2nd gen - '05+
Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
95.5 to 2004 is lumped together as 1st gen...

which is better?

depends on what you plan to do with the truck...
oh come on everyone knows first gens are better, specifically 2003 models
Old 01-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
rgd51 is on a distinguished road
Name: Russell
rgd51's Tacoma Gallery
i noticed huge changes during the 1995 to 2004 period. the truck went through a change in 1998 and then a complete makeover in 2001. i think the tacomas from 2001 to 2004 are the best ones
Old 01-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
2005+ are a lot bigger inside and out, from what I can tell. That was a selling point for me.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgd51 View Post
i noticed huge changes during the 1995 to 2004 period. the truck went through a change in 1998 and then a complete makeover in 2001. i think the tacomas from 2001 to 2004 are the best ones
Not a complete make-over. Only cosmetic.
The frame, engine, drivetrain, & suspension all stayed the same from 95-04.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I thought it was mainly just the front clip that changed... and the tail lights. The rest looks pretty much the same to me.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
... suspension all stayed the same from 95-04.
Not quite true. The rear leaf springs from the 95.5-97 are a tad shorter than those from 98-04 and thus are not interchangeable. Also, the MAF sensors from 95.5-97 are different from 98-04.... in the V6 anyway, not sure about the 4 banger.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Probably boils down to preference, I my first Toyota 4x was an '83 it had the 22R engine (4cyl.) straight axle kinda noisy & tinny rolling down the road but pretty much absolutely bullet proof I put that truck thru hell, my current Truck is a 2000 TRD Ex.cab V6 4x w/all options except power mirrors & power antenae (I don't know if they even offered those as options) & so far its been as reliable & trouble free as the '83 was. Now the 2nd gen. 05' & up (I believe) has more room & alot more amenities but seem to be plagued with a few issues (nothing major) For me, I off road more than most & my experience w/1st gen's. has been great so I'll probably stay with a 1st gen. (kinda like a tomAto, tomato thing ).......

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Not quite true. The rear leaf springs from the 95.5-97 are a tad shorter than those from 98-04 and thus are not interchangeable. Also, the MAF sensors from 95.5-97 are different from 98-04.... in the V6 anyway, not sure about the 4 banger.
Yes. The leafs in the 95.5-97 trucks are pickup springs. I have the OME pickup springs; had to purchase them instead of taco ones because of this. I even asked the local ARB dealer and they gave me a parts list for the different rear suspension setup.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mostly true, but there were changes even in these items ... For example ...

1998 - 2000 frames have different dimensions on the front frame ends than either the 1995.5 - 1997 or '01 - '04 frames.

Basic engine units remained the same through all years, but 1995.5 - 1997 4-cylinders were configured for distributors. Ignition, emissions and fuel control systems changed significantly from 1995.5 - 2004 - meaning that a lot of the apparatus around the engine varied.

The same basic transmissions were used throughout the period, but exact gearings varied occasionally. In addition, electronically-controlled automatics and one-touch 2WD / 4WD shifting arrived during the first generation. Column-mounted auto shifters (5-lug 'minis') disappeared by 2001 (not sure of the exact model year).

The '01 - '04 5-lug front suspension was redone, resulting in slightly different components and arrangements (sometimes making it problematical to simply transplant components from the earlier eras). As already mentioned, the leaf lengths changed after the first 3 years.