Notices

OEM Shock replacement

Old 01-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Shikkapow is on a distinguished road
Shikkapow's Tacoma Gallery
Original Shock replacement

I posted in the wrong forum earlier
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ment-help.html

And figured I might get the correct coverage here when it comes to replacement shocks.
Daily driver 2.7Ltr, minimal off road, stock height truck. I want to pretty much replace what I have.
Any particular brand I should avoid? I am away from home and unless I can get it by Saturday I have to rely on a auto parts store. I know they stock Rancho's and other brands at Advance auto.

Im a dumbass for waiting since I knew I would be in VA, and once I go back to LA, I wont have the time or the tools to do it and it'll run me $$$ to have someone else do it.

Any thoughts on brands/ models?

I found Gabriels in stock, but never heard of them
Front
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=46-0

Rear

http://http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=228544_0_7413_&sku Description=Gabriel+Ultra+/+Shock/Strut+-+Rear&brandName=Gabriel+Ultra&displayName=Shock/Strut+-+Rear&categoryNValue=&sortType=&store=1040&isSearc hByPartNumber=&fromWhere=&fromString=&counter=2&it emId=661-0&navValue=14600661&filterByKeyWord=&productId=228 544&searchText=&categoryDisplayName=Suspension+%26 +Steering&parentId=46-0

I also found some KYB's and I have heard some decent things about them

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, when I lifted my Dodge Power Wagon 30 some years ago, the lift kit was from a new company called "Rancho" (you may have heard of them) & their still around, it came with 4 Gabriel Racing adjustable "E" series shocks (I added 4 more later I liked them so much) So I can vouche for them, KYB's are good, I think they were the first Gas charged positive/negative dampening shocks on the market, but may I ask why not OEM Bilstiens ? Since you want to just replace them. Stay away from Monroe (if they are still around) Always was a weak shock with a pretty wrapper to hide the shitty valve dampening rod not to mention they had the crappiest seals in the buisiness. Back in the day, you pretty much had 2 choices for susp. kits & shocks, the Rancho was my choice because the other one was from "Dick-watch-it-break" Cepek & the Rough Country brand that looked awesome (All pretty with gloss black & yellow shock tubes, but don't confuse it with a Bilstien because of the color) The Rough country shock was great for the first few times out but like clockwork,the first time they really had a little work out, I swear there wasn't one around that didn't blow the seals & slobber & drool Hydraulic fluid all over hell, leaving your rig to bounce around like a fucking pogo stick ,the springs were waaay to soft & wouldn't hold an arc either & contrary to what some say THE ROUGH COUNTRY SHOCK WAS NOTHING MORE THAN A MONROE SHOCK minus the dust shield w/an inferior valve body, plus was way more expensive than the Rancho susp lift & a hell of a lot weaker in design.....go with the OEM BILLY's they're not that expensive & Bilstiens have proven themselves.... Just my opinion Bro'.....

Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Shikkapow is on a distinguished road
Shikkapow's Tacoma Gallery
ranchos.. i think Ive heard of them.

probably going to go that route
thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of choices but I am having the stock shocks (F/R) during my frame swap because if the dealer does it, future parts and labor is free.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Avoid the KYB Monomax shocks like the plague, they ride as stiff as hell, you'll feel every little bump on the road. Had those on for 2 weeks and couldn't stand them. Got the Bilstein HD shocks.... much better ride.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
Get billys
Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Avoid the KYB Monomax shocks like the plague, they ride as stiff as hell, you'll feel every little bump on the road. Had those on for 2 weeks and couldn't stand them. Got the Bilstein HD shocks.... much better ride.
I guess it all depends on what you're after, I purposely got the Mono's because I wanted a tighter ride. I like em!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Junior Mint
You is on a distinguished road

You's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I guess it all depends on what you're after, I purposely got the Mono's because I wanted a tighter ride. I like em!
I have the Bilsteins and they are a bit stiffer than stock ( set at the highest setting). How much "tighter" are the KYB Monomax than Bilstein?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I had the HD's before this, replaced them at 4 years. I can't say what the difference between new HD's and new Mono's is because I can't remember what my HD's were like new, but the Mono's are good for me. Possibly because I have a cap on the back and carry around close to 300lbs all the time, so I can see them being maybe too stiff for an unloaded bed.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I have the Bilsteins and they are a bit stiffer than stock ( set at the highest setting). How much "tighter" are the KYB Monomax than Bilstein?
I'm comparing the Billy HDs to the KYB Monomax shocks and the KYBs are VERY STIFF. The Billys ride like a Cadillac compared to the KYBs.