1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard shifting tranny

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 77celi, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Jan 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    77celi

77celi [OP] Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    95 SR5
    I have a 95 tacoma for about 3 weeks now my tranny has been hard going into gear, it is really hard going into first. I changed the fluid last Sunday. Checked the fluid level tonight all good. I had one of my friends drive it he thinks it's not the clutch.

2. Jan 14, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Well let me ask you, when you disengage the clutch (push in) & put into gear does the clutch engage (when letting the pedal out ) release close to the floor or does it release close to the top of the pedal (pedal almost all the way out ) Hope I explained that right !! lol , also does it feel spongy or tight ?....:cool:

3. Jan 16, 2010 at 12:44 AM
    77celi

77celi [OP] Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    95 SR5
    The clutch grabs about in the middle I just adjusted it. The petal is tight.

4. Jan 16, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    its not uncommon to be tough to put it into first. there is another thread right below this that explains it a lot better than i can so i would look at that

5. Jan 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    A good clutch starts to release close to the floor, & by adjusting I'm assuming you are talking about pedal play at the top, should be about an inch.........:cool::cool:

Also, if its releasing in the middle & the pedal is tight (no free play at the top, I'd try bleeding it once & check pedal for free play then before making any other adjustments,but depending on mileage on clutch it may be time to start thinking about replacement if it starts slipping

Products Discussed in

To Top