LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bug deflector = added wind noise?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
bug deflector = added wind noise?

I want to get a bug deflector for my 03 Tacoma.. I was thinking Weathertech.. Anything else better?

My main concern is whether adding a deflector will create additional wind noise?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
exminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tony
exminnesotaboy's Tacoma Gallery
on my 2001, I picked up a Lund Interceptor (part number 18093, I believe). No wind noise at all. This was a bolt-on, no drill with no tape and it has not worn the paint at all. I am really happy with the fit.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
It will depend on the deflector and the installation. I've never noticed wind noise from the newer 'aerodynamic' deflectors unless the air is whistling around their mounting points or the mounting has caused a gap in the hood-to-body juncture.

Back in the Olde Days the hood deflectors stood straight up / vertical. Now, *those* deflectors could generate some wind noise!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
I put an AVS Bugflector II on mine the other day and haven't noticed any wind noise. The install was literally 5 minutes. Good stuff.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Idrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud of
Marines: 1341/1343/6222
Name: Ryan
Idrivetoys's Tacoma Gallery
AVS II here no noise
Old 01-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I've got whatever one came with my truck when I bought it, looks like the one pictured above. Just as an experiment when I first got it I took it off for a week, never noticed any difference in noise and liked the look so put it back on.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Fastracer is on a distinguished road
Fastracer's Tacoma Gallery
Just install a EGR deflector no noise,no drilling and no tape quick installation,
Love the looks. I also install ventvisors or wind deflector it help with the wind noise
water,snow and heat in summer.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Any of these deflectors can be picked up at local auto stores?

Does the AVS use tape or does it clip in to the mounting holes under the hood?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
Any of these deflectors can be picked up at local auto stores?

Does the AVS use tape or does it clip in to the mounting holes under the hood?
Auto stores do carry some defectors but it's going to be hit and miss if they carry one for your particular truck.

The deflector I installed used four mounting hole clips.

Products Discussed in this Thread