1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual trans question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomabud, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    tacomabud

tacomabud [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bud
    RI
    Vehicle:
    04 Black Xtra Cab
    K&N replacement, 4" Deck plate mod, Thrush Welded muffler, 2nd Gen. TRD rims, Herculinered bed, Grey wire mod, OME lift w/ 883 coils and AAL, 265/75/16 BFG A/T, AP 1.5" wheel spacers
    Just bought my 04 Tacoma about 2 weeks ago, and it is my first, real time driving a manual transmission (not including the BMW's and Mercedes I valet park...).

My question: when starting to drive on cold days, before the truck has warmed up, I find that going into 1st gear is sometimes a little difficult (almost have to force it in). It almost seems like the transmission kicks the shifter out, or keeps it from going into 1st. Many times it happens while trying to down shif as well. This is not a common problem, but often enough that I figured I would ask people that might know. (can't ask my dad, he is used to the double clutching days)

Does anyone know what the problem may be? Or is this a normal thing for a manual transmission? I know this is a total newb question, but I just want to make sure my truck will be fine before I go back to college and before I run out of my bumper-to-bumper warranty. Only reasoning I could think of was if the truck had a safety set up not allowing to go into 1st gear at too high of speeds (I don't even know if that technology is in cars/trucks yet...).

2. Jan 14, 2010 at 11:15 PM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07, Dodge Ram 35004x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6M
    All this sounds perfectly normal. (Assuming you are pushing in the clutch pedal all the way to the floor when going into 1st or reverse from a stop)
    If it is cold outside then the fluid in you tranny is cold also and consequently thicker... thus making it slightly harder to put in gear.
    1st gear is also harder to engage because it is the lowest gear (other than reverse) being a lower gear means that there are more cogs and gears that have to line up in order for it to engage.

BTW ( you praobly should never have to DOWNSHIFT into 1sT gear for anything unless pulling a trailer or Off Roading)

3. Jan 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    revhappyleon

revhappyleon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner V6 6-speed(custom dual exhaust)
    dual exhaust, foglight anytime, satoshi, chlm, aux backup lights and electric fan conversion
    and yes that technology's been in use for quite a while now

4. Jan 15, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    Both of these. If you notice when you first turn the truck on, it is also harder to move the stick back and forth in neutral because the tranny oil is still very cold.

Also make sure any floor mats aren't in the way of the clutch pedal being pressed all the way to the floor. I've had that happen once.

Lastly, I have found that you do not need to downshift into 1st gear (just put the clutch in and brake until you have pretty much stopped, then put the shifter in 1st), and it is generally hard to downshift into it no matter what car I drive.

Don't worry about it.

5. Jan 15, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    When was the last time the transmission oil was changed?
    The stiffness is pretty normal - but since you just bought the truck, I would highly recommend changing the transmission oil and put some synthetic oil in. This should help with smoother shifting. Atleast it did with my old 96 that I owned.

I will also mention - you shouldn't downshift into 1st (unless you're stopped). Most vehicles are like that....downshifting into first is very difficult unless you are almost completely stopped.

6. Jan 15, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Along with some cold ,stiff tranny lube with a manual trans. you have "Synchro's" that allow smooth shifting from gear to gear but the lower the gear the fewer synchros. It takes much more energy & creates more stress to get your rig up to 40mph-50mph from a dead stop than any other time you'll be driving, lower gears are usually physically bigger & stronger & also require more space to occupy inside your trans. 1 or 2 big gears with fewer synchros means that the low gears can handle the stress of initial acceleration without passing the stress on to the considerably smaller,weaker sychromesh gears.....:eek:.:confused:

Damn, lol now I'm confused, did any of that make any sense ???

:burnrubber:

7. Jan 15, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    tacomabud

tacomabud [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bud
    RI
    Vehicle:
    04 Black Xtra Cab
    K&N replacement, 4" Deck plate mod, Thrush Welded muffler, 2nd Gen. TRD rims, Herculinered bed, Grey wire mod, OME lift w/ 883 coils and AAL, 265/75/16 BFG A/T, AP 1.5" wheel spacers
    Yes, it 100% makes sense! Thank you all for your help, I now know I can go back to school and not worry about having truck problems while I'm away...

8. Jan 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I've noticed in mine that when I'm coasting (usually in neutral) up to a stop sign and I try to put it in 1st , it absolutely will not engage unless I'm below probably 3mph. I think you're fine.

9. Jan 17, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    most tranny's are designed to be difficult to be put in 1st gear while moving. its to avoid clutch damage and over-revving the engine. it is worse on these trucks however (at least on the 2nd gen 5 speeds) because 1st gear has a steeper ratio than the rest of the gears

• First Gear: 3.954:1
    • Second Gear: 2.141:1
    • Third Gear: 1.275:1
    • Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
    • Fifth Gear: 0.85:1

Products Discussed in

To Top