Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

after market brakes suggestions

Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
after market brakes suggestions

For a while my car shakes when braking at highway speeds, so i assume the rotors are warped or something along those lines so iv been in the market for some new ones anyways. but now that I have the 285s I can definantly tell the loss in braking abilities. I saw the group buy for the slotted rotors but am uneducated on the subject. does anyone have any preference or suggestions?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
slotted and drilled rotors run cooler than stock,i've drove with them before and really could tell no difference just daily driving.they may not warp as easily as stock since they run cooler.should have a better pedal at higher temperatures.............oh yeah,did you get that clutch in?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea i got it in. took me over 30 hours but its in allright. runs great but the new throwout bearing is still noisy. but no way in hell im cracking it back open for that
Old 01-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Drilled rotors are basically used for racing or in activities you might put your truck thru for quick dissipatation of heat. Slotted rotors are normally better for normal day to day operations since they also allow heat dissipatation quicker than stock rotors. Go to www.tirerack.com and there is alot of info on cost and other info. I would definately go with ceramic pads.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
just got my slotted rotors, and they are In my opinion a great deal, and well worth it for the bigger tires. Im also ganna be getting new HAWK pads, and SS brake lines. My stopping ability went down hill after the new 285's.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
just got my slotted rotors, and they are In my opinion a great deal, and well worth it for the bigger tires. Im also ganna be getting new HAWK pads, and SS brake lines. My stopping ability went down hill after the new 285's.

Read the post above twice....EverTaco (IMO) is spot on. Hawk Pads--Ake Bono Pads whatever...a good pad with slotted rotors is the way to go...I like Ceramic pads and they come in different name brands. The Stainless Steel lines is an excellent replacement as well.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandercole View Post
yea i got it in. took me over 30 hours but its in allright. runs great but the new throwout bearing is still noisy. but no way in hell im cracking it back open for that
i saw your pics when you put it in,gettin derty.good job dude.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
s/p slotted rotors and hawk ceramics.......from http://raceshopper.com/ ......ftw!!!! best prices and customer service that i have found.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #9

that will help with stopping ability? my stopping really went downhill too after the new tires
Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandercole View Post
that will help with stopping ability? my stopping really went downhill too after the new tires
a very definite improvement.....and i would also say,if you can afford them....some goodridge g-stop braided stainless brake lines.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #11

rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
s/p slotted rotors and hawk ceramics.......from http://raceshopper.com/ ......ftw!!!! best prices and customer service that i have found.
Thanks for the web link T-Man....I couldn't believe they had ATE rotors...a damm good choice in rotors as well....
Old 01-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

If you are "Pushing' the abuse on your brakes why not "research" the total brake upgrade like some 4-Runner owners are doing.....I think you will find a "Tundra" kit or if needed like some FJ-40's are doing...Chevy kits....

Yes,new rotors or Better pads help BUT a "Pucker" factor brake experience due to a small brake system.......

Do the "MATH",rotors and pads constantly or pay it foward and know when you STEP ...it will STOP..........

There is a "reason" fully loaded Tundras stop as quick as loaded Tacomas...Toyota SPEC'd the brakes to WORK that way.....
Imagine that...the Factory already did your "homework" ...

S
Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #13

yea but i feel like replacing the whole unit is going to create other unforseen problems. tire and wheel fitment that sort of thing
Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
i just got new hawk pads and R1 rotors. my stopping power has GREATLY improved and the parts were not too expensive either. heres links to what i bought

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...eet+brake+pads

http://www.amazon.com/TACOMA-PreRunn...3668066&sr=8-2

i also came across this set up which was bad ass but more than i wanted to spend
http://www.lceperformance.com/Tacoma...-p/1055203.htm