Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen double cab 4x4's

Old 01-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Way2muchtime is on a distinguished road
Way2muchtime's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen double cab 4x4's

Before I bought my Frontier I was looking for a 2001 to 2004 Tacoma 4x4 double cab. They seem to be difficult to find and are still pretty expensive.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ctd/1567709816.html This is a TRD, but almost 100k and its still selling for $15k.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ctd/1556980830.html This one is super nice with low miles, but $20,5k

And thats really it in the Portland area. Are they fairly expensive around other parts of the country? Are they just as hard to find?

I picked up my brand new Frontier 4x4 CC fully loaded for $22k. I would still have liked to have gotten a 1st gen double cab but had a hard time spending that much money for something that was out of factory warranty.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
they are hard to find, and still pretty expensive....they hold their value awesomely.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
they are hard to find, and still pretty expensive....they hold their value awesomely.
Yea, I guess so.

My next door neighbor has an 03 TRD double cab 4x4 that he bought brand new for $24k. It only has 30k on it as he doesnt like to drive it due to the poor fuel economy. He wants a subaru next.

Sounds like he'll get top dollar for it when he decides to get rid of it, its always garaged and not a scratch. I'll be knocking on his door when the time comes...
Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2muchtime View Post
Yea, I guess so.

My next door neighbor has an 03 TRD double cab 4x4 that he bought brand new for $24k. It only has 30k on it as he doesnt like to drive it due to the poor fuel economy. He wants a subaru next.

Sounds like he'll get top dollar for it when he decides to get rid of it, its always garaged and not a scratch. I'll be knocking on his door when the time comes...
i dont blame you one bit........the first gens are solid trucks. i love my 04!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
exminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tony
exminnesotaboy's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, they are both dealers, so they have some room to move. I bought my super-clean '01 xtra cab with 72k for $12.6 a few months ago. The dealer was asking $15.9.

Those two look nice, but on the first one I would be concerned that it has a brake controller on it. Not that that is a bad thing if used sparingly, but if they were over-towing with it....

On the second one, what is up with the rubber stick-on protector behind the rear wheel? Looks like a cheap way to cover up something by the dealer

I am a little skeptical(paranoid?) about dealers, but it has paid off for me in turning down potential vehicles and waiting for the 'right one'
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
i was in your same exact situation. do i get a fully loaded fronteir or do i go with a truck that is 6 years old?

i ended up getting a limited v6 DC 4x4 TRD tacoma and i dont regret it for a second. this truck has been very good to me.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And thats really it in the Portland area. Are they fairly expensive around other parts of the country? Are they just as hard to find?

#1 in resale value in their class, and possibly in all pickups.

My taco was 32,5 new. I financed 100% of the value last June. After 3 payments, I was right side up on the loan according to KBB. I have almost 4k miles on her now, and currently her trade-in value is about $700 below what I paid new.

These trucks hold their value siiiiiiick.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I was in the sam boat too! I was thinking about getting a newer Frontier or an older DC Tacoma. And I just waited patiently for the right one to come around(2-3years) And I dont regret it at all! i think the Tacoma is way better then the frontier, in both re-tail value and strength. This truck is awsome!

I love the first one! I would've loved to have that super white! But with that brake controller, I would think the pre-owner did some towing and that the leafs might/may be bad. But over all, great looking truck, and 100K miles isnt all that many miles for our trucks. Im looking to get atleast 200K-250K miles out of mine.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
I live in The Dallas Texas area and most trucks around here were going for around 11,000. I ended up buying my truck in California as they seem alot cheaper in California from what I've seen.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Will Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Will Prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I got my 01 Double Cab Prerunner with the TRD Package with 130,000 miles on it last year for 7.5k. Not a 4x4(yet) but I figured I'd give you an idea of what they go for around here.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
SoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud of
Name: Joe
SoCaliSnowboarder77's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted a 1st gen black 4x4 TRD dub cab before, but couldn't find one that had less than 50k miles was less than $20k... so I ended up buying a new 2nd gen instead. I got tired of looking for a nice used one... also I never owned a new vehicle before. Anyway, goodluck finding what you want.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
mx04taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
mx04taco's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine for 12,500 two months ago. i work for a dealership and we got it in on trade. it had 84,000 miles at the time and a timing belt that was changed around 65,000. i think the asking price on it was around 16,000. sometimes it helps to get the employee discount
Old 01-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #13
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought my used 1st gen. I was in the same exact boat you were in. It was between an 07 frontier or an 04 tacoma. my tacoma also had more miles. But I have always wanted these trucks but they are so expensive. So i found one here in tampa florida. rare package-- 04 double cab prerunner trd 4cyl only 65kmiles on it. i got it for 13,9k. not bad considering anyone i found here was around 15k for the condition and miles of this one. so good luck. but I have to say i love this truck. drives great and awesome on gas. I also test drove a frontier last week. suspension was way to stiff for me. but heres a pick of my new ride
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
got mine with 190k miles and for 9k flat

now ive modded it out and put 236k on the odo
Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
Yea, it sounds like there is deals to be had, but it just takes time and patience to find them. I wasnt too specific on color, but did want a 4wd.

I looked at the 2nd gens and almost bought two 07 TRD Sports, (even signed on the dotted line) however the dealer wasnt willing to negotiate on price so it didnt work out. Looked at a few brand new SR5's, however they were too pricey and I wasnt too keen on some of the styling and they didnt seem to carry the same reputation that the 1st generations had. The Frontier ended up being a good price for the options (crew cab, 4x4, value truck package, etc for $22,200 brand new) and figured I would give it a shot.

I am really looking forward to the 3rd generation Taco, I imagine it will take some styling cues from the new 4runner which I really like. I figure by the time my Factory warranty is up on my Frontier, the 3rd gen Taco's will be a year or 2 into production and will be time to trade up.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #16
Zork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to all
Zork's Tacoma Gallery
I lucked out, but it took me about 7 months to find the right one. Got me a 04 D-Cab PreRunner TRD V6 with 31K mint condition. Almost went with a new Taco, but just dont like them. I also considered the Frontier, but didnt like it enough either. Yes they are high I paid 17k for mine. Some might say that is way too much, but hey its my truck not theirs.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
twkbow is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
twkbow's Tacoma Gallery
yeh, the taco dbl cab is thee best. searched www.hankshelper.com every day for months. its a site that searches dealers, autotrader.com, craigslist,etc. within your specified distance from your zip.

found an '01 dbl cab v6 SR5 TRD 4x4 automatic with 75k miles and a brand new frame,remote starter, awesome stereo the thing is mint. drove from new hampshire to rhode island with 11,300 cash. drove home that day, put on a used homesteader plow for 1800, got a free bedliner off craigslist and I'm not lookin back. I'm 42 yrs old and plan on this truck outlivin' me.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
It sounds like the only thing of concern with this generation was the potential for the frame to rust. I however live in Oregon and we do not salt the roads (something to do with the runoff affecting streams and rivers) so rust is not an issue. Heck, I couple years ago I had an 85 Yota 4x4 without any rust on it.

We use some sort of chemical de-icer and gravel so rock chips and cracked windshields are a different story.

Well, unless something happens to my Frontier (stolen, wrecked, meteor strike, etc) I cannot really justify getting rid of it. Unfortanately in 3 - 4 years when I do decide to sell it the 1st gen Taco dbl cabs will be near impossible to find with lower mileage. Looks like I missed out, unless...

Here is one more I stumbled across that seemed to be a little more reasonable: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/1560768533.html. Now X-cab's are all over the place. Just seems to be the double cabs that are few and far between.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #19
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Quote:
It sounds like the only thing of concern with this generation was the potential for the frame to rust. I however live in Oregon and we do not salt the roads (something to do with the runoff affecting streams and rivers) so rust is not an issue. Heck, I couple years ago I had an 85 Yota 4x4 without any rust on it.

We use some sort of chemical de-icer and gravel so rock chips and cracked windshields are a different story.

Well, unless something happens to my Frontier (stolen, wrecked, meteor strike, etc) I cannot really justify getting rid of it. Unfortanately in 3 - 4 years when I do decide to sell it the 1st gen Taco dbl cabs will be near impossible to find with lower mileage. Looks like I missed out, unless...

Here is one more I stumbled across that seemed to be a little more reasonable: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/1560768533.html. Now X-cab's are all over the place. Just seems to be the double cabs that are few and far between.
i can help ya get ridda the nissan...loan it to me for a day and beef up your insurance
Old 01-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #20
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
They are hard to come by here in Portland... I love mine when I bought it in 2005 & am having a hard time wanting to get rid of it for a 2nd gen. Good Luck!