Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front Bumper Ideas

Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Front Bumper Ideas

Okay, so I've decided to build my own bumper for my 02 SR5 AC 4x4... This is what I've come up with so far. Yes, I know it's very plain at the moment but I wanted to get some input before I kept going with it.

First of all, I plan to build the entire thing out of 3/8" steel plating. I plan to mount a winch on the inside at some point and am debating whether or not to cut holes for some 6" Hella lights. I'm going to put two shackle mounts on the front. Also, I'm going to try to tie it in to my skid plate. If I can't I'm just going to build a new skid plate. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Like I said, this is a very simple sketch of what I am wanting to do but didn't want to get extensive drawings done if I am going in the completely wrong direction.

Thanks for the help.

(Sorry it's sideways, I don't know how to rotate it in Paint.)
Attached Thumbnails
Front Bumper Ideas-bumper-original.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here it is flipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Bumper Ideas-bumper-original.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
timbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timbo805's Tacoma Gallery
looks good bud
Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
NewHere
PacNWgen1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
PacNWgen1's Tacoma Gallery
Looks cool. I want to fab one also. Let me know how it goes.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
i just got done wiring up my new welder i went threw a 5lbs of rods last night trying to figure it out (its and arc welder) i bought it do build stuff like this but i am going to need alot of practice before i can even start. i like the idea but i would worry more about "where" your going to mount it. then build the bumpers face off that not the other way around.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
RelentlessTaco built one that came out sweet.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good so far. I'm in the works of doing something very similar for my 2nd gen. Don't you think 3/8" may be over kill? Won't it weigh a ton? I'm only planning to use 3/8" in the frame/bumper mounts and 3/16" throughout the plates. That is all most any aftermarket bumper is made of and I figure good triangulation will make it more than strong enough.

I'm very curious to see how this goes. Keep us posted. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBoy View Post
Looks good so far. I'm in the works of doing something very similar for my 2nd gen. Don't you think 3/8" may be over kill? Won't it weigh a ton? I'm only planning to use 3/8" in the frame/bumper mounts and 3/16" throughout the plates. That is all most any aftermarket bumper is made of and I figure good triangulation will make it more than strong enough.

I'm very curious to see how this goes. Keep us posted. Good luck!
3/8" was just an idea. I really don't know that much about steel other than how to cut/weld. My dad works at a steel mill so he can correct me on areas like that. He actually just build a bumper for our 86 Isuzu Trooper II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
i just got done wiring up my new welder i went threw a 5lbs of rods last night trying to figure it out (its and arc welder) i bought it do build stuff like this but i am going to need alot of practice before i can even start. i like the idea but i would worry more about "where" your going to mount it. then build the bumpers face off that not the other way around.
Good point. I may end up taking my bumper off today to get some exact measurements and look at mounting points. I crawled up underneath it yesterday and it seems like I could remove the D Rings that are attached to the frame (are these add-ons or stock?) and bolt it on there. I don't want to weld it on in case anything ever happens to the truck.

I'm also planning on building some sliders and a rear bumper with a removable spare tire carrier attached to it.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I think 3/8" steel is going to make a 500 lb bumper. You'll probably want to avoid that. My plan is to remove the old stuff first and fab some new, heavy mounts. Once the mounts are in place, I plan to build it out from there. I'll take measurements and make cardboard mock-ups. When I like it I'll make it out of steel and tack it in place. When all is done, I'll remove it and complete the full welding and grinding process. I am fortunate enough to have access to a full machine shop with shears, benders, plasma cutters, etc.

That's just what I had in mind on how to tackle it. If anybody has ideas or experience, please share. I also have plans for skid plates and sliders in the works.