1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Code P0420

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CoreyF, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jan 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    CoreyF

CoreyF [OP] Corey

Member:
    Suffolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4WD SR5 Access V6
    This truck is a 1999 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L, 3RZ-FE 5-speed. 165K miles.
    I can't get rid of the CEL for this code.
    I have carefully installed brand new up stream and down stream 02 sensors that had scanned bad using my OBD II scanner. The codes for them no longer display after replacing them.
    Have also carefully cleaned the MAF and cleaned out the throttle body.
    I used the correct cleaners for both of them and did not touch the MAF at all.
    Once I did clean the MAF the CEL stayed off for about 3 days but is now back with the P0420 code again.
    I'm wondering if the CEL now is some other sensor now after resetting the PCM by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes.
    What other sensors can I check?
    I should mention, the scanner indicates a "?" mark next to the downstream 02 sensor when I did the 02 monitor test and when I look this up the scanner "cannot retrieve data" for it.
    Do I have to check the 02 sensors after getting the engine good and hot though? I did not have it hot when checking them.
    My goal is to find out for sure if my catalyst is failing before spending that much money on one.
    All fluids and gas cap are fine. Cannot see or feel an exhaust leak but could there be a very small exhaust leak causing this problem?

2. Jan 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
    Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
    Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
    Replace the catalytic converter

Products Discussed in

To Top