Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2003 Tacoma TRD V6 Purchase

Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
markveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the rough
Marines:
Name: mark
markveneris's Tacoma Gallery
2003 Tacoma TRD V6 Purchase

Hey everyone
My other truck just got totalled Wednesday and now need new mode of transport. I have always wanted another Toyota Pickup since my first car and now have a good chance to own (hopefully) a good one.
I am going to look at a truck this weekend and need some advice.
1. What do I need to look for when i inspect the truck? (I understand that this year could have a problem with frame rust.)
2. What major maintenance work will be needed soon? (It has 75,000 miles) I.e. timing belt, seals and the like. and how much would this stuff cost to fix.
3. What are the best mods that i can get? (Price range around 3,000) i have read that there are no good chips. but is it possible to put an aftermarket Supercharger on it if it did not come stock.
4. THe guy says that it is in great shape and is asking 11,500 for it. Is this a good price. and the pics look great.

Like i said i have owned a toyota pickup years ago and really want to get this truck to last me untill about the time i go into the grave.

Thanks in advance for all your help
Mark
Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markveneris View Post
Hey everyone
My other truck just got totalled Wednesday and now need new mode of transport. I have always wanted another Toyota Pickup since my first car and now have a good chance to own (hopefully) a good one.
I am going to look at a truck this weekend and need some advice.
1. What do I need to look for when i inspect the truck? (I understand that this year could have a problem with frame rust.)
Frame rust is the major issue, pretty solid after that
2. What major maintenance work will be needed soon? (It has 75,000 miles) I.e. timing belt, seals and the like. and how much would this stuff cost to fix.
I have the same truck and with regular oil changes I havnt had to do much else, save a clutch job but that was my fault.
3. What are the best mods that i can get? (Price range around 3,000) i have read that there are no good chips. but is it possible to put an aftermarket Supercharger on it if it did not come stock.
If you have the means SUPERCHARGE IT!! other than that there really isnt any good performance mods. search "deckplate mod", only good one.
4. THe guy says that it is in great shape and is asking 11,500 for it. Is this a good price. and the pics look great.
Again I have the same truck and I paid $13,000 with 80k miles. sounds like a good deal to me

Like i said i have owned a toyota pickup years ago and really want to get this truck to last me untill about the time i go into the grave.

Thanks in advance for all your help
Mark
_
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
markveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the rough
Marines:
purchase

Dylan,
Thanks for the comments
Mark
Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
that's a very good price. I just paid $13,700 for my 03 TRD with 73K miles on it.. (but I bought from a dealership) If you live in one of the "salt" states listed in the Toyota announcement, you qualify for frame inspection and/or replacement as well as 15 year rust warranty from the original purchase date.

Timing belt at 90K, mine had 2 worn drive belt that didn't start making noise until a week after I bought it.. I just had the shop change out all 3 drive belts for $120...
Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
That's a great price! I paid just a little under 10k for mine, with 69000 miles at the time, but mine's a 2wd 4 banger.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
1998tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road

1998tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a good deal.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, good deal.

I went through your situation last October.

What cab type is it? Reg, Xtra, or double? And tranny?

for comparison, I got a late (August) 2001 with 101k miles for 12,725 from a private owner. Xtra cab, 5-speed, and had a top-of-the-line Snugtop Supersport.

More importantly, it had great history: Carfax single-owner, no accidents, clear title, and he had dealer maintenance records for 30k, 60k, and 90k, including the timing belt. So check for all those things.

Especially check the title. Some jackass around here keeps posting salvage titles on craigllist and asking for full value. So don't get screwed on that deal.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Marines:
purchase

SCOCAR,
It is an extra cab and have not gotten word back from the seller as the the tranny. I really want the truck but needed some advice from others as to if it is a good price. My GF thinks it is to much for an older truck, but i know that it is a good price and good deal; you all just fortified my position
Mark

ALL,
Thanks for your comments.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #9
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
Price sounds pretty fair. Your GF doesn't know what Tacoma's are worth! You should still try to squeeze them a little for a cheaper price. Times are rough!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
That's a great price! I paid just a little under 10k for mine, with 69000 miles at the time, but mine's a 2wd 4 banger.

you paid 10k for your truck really???? when i was shopping for my i was finding extracab white 2wd tacos with like 50 thousands miles for only like $$$$6,000 there were so many to choose from too but i wanted a 4x4
Old 01-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i like how women think something is too expensive.. Based on what? on the number of hair appointments it equals to!? what the hell do they know?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
yeah i like how women think something is too expensive.. Based on what? on the number of hair appointments it equals to!? what the hell do they know?
Not long-term value, utility, reliability, and resale value...OMG, like, I totally need 300 pairs of shoes and a 100 purses that will go out of fashion next week!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
you paid 10k for your truck really???? when i was shopping for my i was finding extracab white 2wd tacos with like 50 thousands miles for only like $$$$6,000 there were so many to choose from too but i wanted a 4x4
It was damn near impossible to find anything with the 2.4 in it that was an extracab with a manual. They all were single cab automatics used in fleet stuff. Now I wish I would've gone for the abundant 2.7 4X4s that are around here. I might be trading in when I go to college, a lot of the places I'm looking at get tons of snow. I've got my eye on an '85 pickup with like 4,000 miles on a fresh 22re.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #14

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
It was damn near impossible to find anything with the 2.4 in it that was an extracab with a manual. They all were single cab automatics used in fleet stuff. Now I wish I would've gone for the abundant 2.7 4X4s that are around here. I might be trading in when I go to college, a lot of the places I'm looking at get tons of snow. I've got my eye on an '85 pickup with like 4,000 miles on a fresh 22re.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
You know, there is one thing for us all to remember when we start comparing prices and spec and the deals we got: the local market! We all live all over the country in areas with different costs of living and different market demand. One of the notes in Kelly Bluebook says just this...they use average national prices, and local markets and prices vary. And so do dealer and private party. And so do buyer circumstances, need, and priorities. And vehicle condition. And favorite color. And favorite beer. OK, I'll stop.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
What else should be inspected when looking at a taco around 75-125k miles??? What should have been replaced by the owner? Timing Belt, got that. anything else? Anything in the waterpump or differential?

BTW, here in south florida it's hard to find any taco under 10k in price. even if it's a 2wd with 160,000 miles. It's ridiculous.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #16

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
What else should be inspected when looking at a taco around 75-125k miles??? What should have been replaced by the owner? Timing Belt, got that. anything else? Anything in the waterpump or differential?

BTW, here in south florida it's hard to find any taco under 10k in price. even if it's a 2wd with 160,000 miles. It's ridiculous.
The water pump should be replaced when the T-belt is done, just because of the location and labor.

Diffs and transfer and tranny oil are on a regular service schedule you should be able to find on this site under 1st gen or Technical. Same with driveline lube (U joints and sliding yokes--you should be able to see signs of grease and splatter). Depends on standard or severe duty.

From what I have read and seen on this site:

-Frame rust (salty snow states/conditions usually).
-Possibly shocks and possibly leaf springs (known for weakness and sagging, although I have yet to see a picture of pristine, new OEM leafs on a 1st gen to compare with)
-Steering rack bushings (several large rubber bushings hold it to the subframe, these tend to get soft, and contribute to squishy steering...search the site for details and replacement with aftermarket urethane (?) bushings). This is on my to-do list.
-Apparently there was a TSB for certain VIN numbers for, I think, upper control arm bushings. You should be abel to find that on this site, too.

And a lot depends on how ther previous driver used/abused it. But then these things take a LOT of abuse without flinching.

Before I started looking at trucks, I got a Haynes manual and made a list of the standard inspection/service items. It helped me a lot. And operate/turn on anything and everything that can be operated or turned on. By doing this, I discovered that pretty much all Xtra cabs have broken window latches. Then I found it mentioned here. Minor detail, and someone on this site fabricates billet replacements, which is also on my list...my long list...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #17
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Apparently there was a TSB for certain VIN numbers for, I think, upper control arm bushings. You should be abel to find that on this site, too.
I searched for TSB and upper and it only found this thread.. No other references to this..