Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

strange sci-fi laser sound when reversing.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
strange sci-fi laser sound when reversing.

Whenever I back out of a parking space, I hear a "pewwww" sound, almost like a valve being release? I have the 3400 V6 AUTO
Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Possibly Batman
NeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to behold

NeoMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to NeoMoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
Whenever I back out of a parking space, I hear a "pewwww" sound, almost like a valve being release? I have the 3400 V6...
Check your rear view mirrors. Stormtroopers are people too.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whenever I back out of a parking space, I hear a "pewwww" sound, almost like a valve being release? I have the 3400 V6...
When I initially read this, I was thinking gear noise that I have with the manual. Then I saw the valve releasing part and I am
Old 01-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMoose View Post
Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
okay not a valve release.. sounds kinda like this but softer sounding.. the sound on the Taco lasts about 1 second.

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~sealscd/COMP7970/project/3Dstudio/levels/MISSION2/Ekran.WAV
Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sounds like a U-joint.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
Sounds like a U-joint.
What could be the u joint be doing while reversing to make that sound for a split second?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
What could be the u joint be doing while reversing to make that sound for a split second?
I assume you pull into your driveway.
When you reverse, the u-joint basically gets thrown the opposite direction when backing. So it takes that little bit of "slack" and hits making a ping noise. When mine started to go bad they made a similar noise.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it's a ping noise generated from two surfaces making contact...

it's a very soft noise, like the above link I sent except it sound slower and very muffled..
Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if a valve or similar mechanism inside the automatic transmission is causing it ... ??? ...
Old 01-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I know the sound. Mine did it too. It is like a small motor spooling up or down. Lasts less than a second. I chose to ignore it, not sure if the truck still does it.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
When I initially read this, I was thinking gear noise that I have with the manual. Then I saw the valve releasing part and I am
I thought the same thing, like it was his first manual. It sure surprised me the first time I heard it in a stick shift car. Mine has scared a few people who thought the old Taco was about to explode.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMoose View Post
hahahah im watching tv and i just started laughing at that
Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
lol i started a thread about this to :http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ound-09-a.html
lol
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whenever I back out of a parking space, I hear a "pewwww" sound, almost like a valve being release? I have the 3400 V6 AUTO
Ahhh yes, the phaser mod. Good for folks tailgating too.